Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by Vikas Malla <ma...@yahoo.co.in> on 2002/11/07 23:22:51 UTC

Theoretical question:Client Side

What exactly is the client side? Normally, we talk about having a two/three tier architechture in which we talk about client side, server side etc.

I was trying to think why the cactus project decided to name it so.

Any suggestions.

TIA

Post your ad on Yahoo! India Autos.Check out the used Maruti, Fiat and Ford models on sale now.

Re: Theoretical question:Client Side

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
Vikas Malla wrote:
> What exactly is the client side? Normally, we talk about having a two/three tier architechture in which we talk about client side, server side etc.
>
> I was trying to think why the cactus project decided to name it so.

In the context of Cactus, "client side" refers to the JVM where the
JUnit test runner is executed, while "server side" is the
servlet-container where the actual "in-container" tests are performed.
The servlet-container usually lives in a different JVM, and
communication between the two is currently always via HTTP.

This has little to do with the N-tier architecture used in the
application you're testing. Except that Cactus would be pretty useless
in a single-tier application ;-)

The Cactus documentation should actually give you a pretty good idea of
the Cactus client/server-architecture.

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de