Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michel Jouvin <jo...@lal.in2p3.fr> on 2003/11/02 12:01:24 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] 2.0.48 : Multiviews not honoured

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your help. I solved the problem with Apache doc renaming
index.html to index.var and adding index.var as the first element in
DirectoryIndex. Declaring html as a type-map seems to break use of .html
files for plain html pages.

Using the same idea, I was able to workaround the other problem. I added an
index.var in this other site also. But the problem remains if index.var is
not there or if it is not listed before index.html in DirectoryIndex.

How to find more information on the error returned to the client ? (this is
not an html error displayed by the browser (IE6 in this case) but something
'unexpected' by the browser with no error on the server side).

Thanks again for your help.

Michel

--On vendredi 31 octobre 2003 12:09 -0500 Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>
wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Michel Jouvin wrote:
>> I just upgraded from 2.0.46 to 2.0.48. The server has been built with the
>> same configure options and the configuration file has been copied from
>> 2.0.46 (just DocumentRoot has been changed, as we do for every upgrade).
>>
>> Unfortunatly, after this update, Multiviews is no longer honoured for
>> pages available in several languages. 2 diffent symptoms are :
>>
>> - We have several pages exiting in different languages that have a
>> language suffix (like .fr, .en...). In this case, whatever the browser
>> is, an error occurs when getting the page. With Netscape the browser
>> doesn't return, just waiting. With IE6, I get an error "the site cannot
>> be opened" (not a page with an error text, an error popup). This occurs
>> for example with index.html. If no index.html exists (just the language
>> variants) the problem occurs. If I rename one of the variant as
>> index.html, it works.
>
> What exactly is apache sending back to the clients?  It sounds like a
> redirect to a non-existant page.  Can you tell us exactly what HTTP
> reponse headers apache is sending?
>
>> - When an index.html exists with URI: tags (like in apache doc), the
>> content of this file is displayed instead of being interpreted.
>
> That will only work if .html is designated as a type-map using AddHandler.
> And it works perfectly well here:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/
> which is running 2.0.48.
>
> Joshua.

     * Michel Jouvin                 Email : jouvin@lal.in2p3.fr *
     * LAL / CNRS                    Tel : +33 1 64468932        *
     * B.P. 34                       Fax : +33 1 69079404        *
     * 91898 Orsay Cedex                                         *
     * France                                                    *

Re: [users@httpd] 2.0.48 : Multiviews not honoured

Posted by Michel Jouvin <jo...@lal.in2p3.fr>.
Another info : the answer from apache is not the same in the case of
Firebird. Here it is and the file location is correct. One difference in
request sent by Firebird and IE6 is in 'Accept:' line. In Netscape they are
weighted and */* has the smallest weight. In IE6 they are not weighted.

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.lal.in2p3.fr
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive

HTTP/1.x 200 OK
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 09:49:53 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.48 (Unix) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.0.48 OpenSSL/0.9.7b PHP/4.3.2

Michel

--On lundi 3 novembre 2003 13:18 +0100 Michel Jouvin <jo...@lal.in2p3.fr>

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Michel Jouvin wrote:
> - Content locacation returns a file that exists but is normally ignored by
> previous versions.
>
> Thus why the file with ext .fr.svg is taken into account in 2.0.48 ?

Perhaps because image/svg+xml was added to mime.types (Scalable Network
Graphics)?

If you are using multiviews on index, you need to be REALLY sure that
there is no garbage in the directory matching index.*, because slight
changes in browser or server configuration can mean a file will be served
that you didn't intend.

And, as you noticed, these problems are very difficult to track down.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] 2.0.48 : Multiviews not honoured

Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:06:17 GMT

Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:01:35 GMT

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.

Posted by Michel Jouvin <jo...@lal.in2p3.fr>.
Hi,

I downloaded Firebird and discovered this new browser. Looks very
promising...

With Firebird, I cannot reproduce the problem. It seems browser dependent.
But I already experienced it with IE6 and Netscape 4.5 (pretty old, i
know). Netscape 7 seems ok. IE5 Macintosh too. The other thing I can say is
that all these browsers are working perfectly well with Apache 2.0.47.

I attach the output from Live HTTP headers (with Apache 2.0.48).

Michel

--On lundi 3 novembre 2003 07:15 +0100 Robert Andersson

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Michel Jouvin wrote:
> How to find more information on the error returned to the client ? (this is
> not an html error displayed by the browser (IE6 in this case) but something
> 'unexpected' by the browser with no error on the server side).

There are various tools out there that let you inspect the HTTP headers
sent by the browser and returned by the server.  A basic network sniffer
would do, but would probably be overkill.