Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Michael Stahl <ms...@openoffice.org> on 2011/08/24 23:27:46 UTC

Gmane address encryption (was: Re: [What?] Why and How did this reach my inbox?)

On 24.08.2011 22:39, Larry Gusaas wrote:

> On 2011-08-24 11:42 AM  Michael Stahl wrote:
>> On 23.08.2011 21:25, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>> How about the mangling of the To address?  When I get one of
>>> these, I cannot use any rules because the To address that my mail
>>> client sees is not that of ooo-dev but some hacked-up pseudo
>>> gmane address.
>> when signing up a mailing list at Gmane there is a checkbox whether
>> the mail addresses (as seen by Gmane users) should be mangled or
>> not; this feature is intended to prevent address harvesting and
>> thus deter spammers.
> Can that feature be changed? Is it necessary?

it seems there is a form on the Gmane site where the list information
can be edited, including the mangling (it is called "encryption").

but before changing it we should ensure that posters on this list are
not concerned about potentially getting more spam.

(haven't checked whether any of the various other sites that archive
this list expose the mail addresses to scraping by spammers)

> None of the OOo or LibreOffice lists that I follow with Gmane have
> mangled addresses. Nor do the other lists I follow.

of the LO lists that i look at occasionally only the main development
list seems to have the mangling enabled, the other ones not.

regards,
 michael

RE: Gmane address encryption (was: Re: [What?] Why and How did this reach my inbox?)

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Right.

I don't have access to those techniques in my e-mail client.  Nor in my news reader.

 - Dennis

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I don't see any encryptions in the messages as forwarded on the ooo-dev @ i.a.o list.

Posted by NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 08/24/2011 02:27 PM, Michael Stahl wrote:
> On 24.08.2011 22:39, Larry Gusaas wrote:

>>> when signing up a mailing list at Gmane there is a checkbox whether
>>> the mail addresses (as seen by Gmane users) should be mangled or
>>> not; this feature is intended to prevent address harvesting and
>>> thus deter spammers.
>> Can that feature be changed? Is it necessary?
>
> it seems there is a form on the Gmane site where the list information
> can be edited, including the mangling (it is called "encryption").
>
> but before changing it we should ensure that posters on this list are
> not concerned about potentially getting more spam.

First off, thank you very much for making this list available via
gmane.org. I subscribe to well over 20 lists & would never be able to
browse/post to them were I directly inundated with emails from all.
Using gmane.org nntp I can easily check the one's I wish, search thread
headers, etc., without a single list email hitting my inbox.

If the concern is about gmane.org forwarding spam, you'll find that they
have pretty good filtering & processes in place to help prevent that.
The gmane.org subscriber must first verify that their email address is
real via a reply process:

> Subject: gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel: Authorization required
> You have sent a message to be posted on the
> gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel newsgroup.
>
> Before the message is posted on the newsgroup, you have
> to confirm that you exist.  Just reply to this message, and
> the message will be posted.
>

> You have to respond within one week.
>
> -- Your friendly autoauthorizer at Gmane.org http://gmane.org/

and after the user responds:

> Subject: Re: Authorization required to post to
gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel (edb1c67b746078ba5662f0416f5b412a)
> You are now authorized to post to the
> gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel newsgroup.
>
> The original message you sent to the newsgroup will be
> posted within ten minutes.
>
> If you have any questions, they are most likely answered
> in the FAQ: <URL: http://gmane.org/faq.php>.
>
> -- Your friendly autoauthorizer at Gmane.org http://gmane.org/

Further, each gmane.org header includes an 'Archived at:' with a link to
the message. Example:
If the msg is a spam you only need to go to the URL and 'Report as
spam'. gmane.org takes a look at each one to ensure that someone isn't
simply reporting as spam to be vindictive etc.:

http://gmane.org/spam-control.php

> (haven't checked whether any of the various other sites that archive
> this list expose the mail addresses to scraping by spammers)

Overall, the OOo users list gets very few spams from gmane.org:
<http://gmane.org/output-rate.php?group=gmane.comp.openoffice.questions>

>> None of the OOo or LibreOffice lists that I follow with Gmane have
>> mangled addresses. Nor do the other lists I follow.

The only one that I'm aware of is the "un-official" virtualbox list:
gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.user

As for list-bots scrapping addresses; they can do that with this list
already. For example, the 'RAW' versions of this list contain all the
info needed:

<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201108.mbox/raw/%3C015b01cc629b$cdbeaca0$693c05e0$@acm.org%3E>

and of course when list users fail to remove the email address in the
response itself (see the above link where Simon included it in 'Säger
<snipped> wrote:'.

So I think if someone is determined enough they can scrape list email
addresses anyway. IMO I'd much rather just forgo the gmane.org email
address encryption. Further, it will avoid the '[Discussion]
dev@openoffice.org' issue & also easily allow
folks on the list to take a discussion/flame/whatever off list.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.