Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Nguyen, Thang" <tn...@fcg.com> on 2006/10/06 11:55:00 UTC

Re: FOP embed truetype font into postscript file

Could you tell me why Fop doesn't do embeding font into ps output,
what's the difficult thing in doing do so or dev-team is just being busy
with other tasks ?

Thang.

>(Switching to the fop-dev list, as this discussion is becoming more and
>more code-related. I suggest you to subscribe to this list if you
>haven't already.)

>Nguyen, Thang a  crit :
> Now I'm drown in PostScript specification :), could you tell how or
where can I find
>documents on the way FOP uses font metric file & embeded font with pdf
ouput, and what's
>the current way of FOP deals with font metric file & post-script
output. I hope that someone
>can help me, it would be a lots more easier than looking at the source
code.

>There is no particular documentation about how fonts are handled by
Fop,
>apart from the page explaining how to configure custom fonts [1]. So
>you'll have to look at the source code. Unluckily for you, this area of
>the code is undergoing some heavy refactoring, as the current font
>library of Fop will soon be replaced with another one. That said, it
>doesn't prevent you from starting to study how the PS renderer should
be
> extended to support TrueType fonts.

>For any font-related issue the PS renderer will rely on the aXSL API
>[2]. So what would need to be done is to check that this API provides
>all the necessary informations for embedding a TrueType font in the
>rendered PS file. If so, then this is "only" a matter of writing the
>necessary aXSL method calls within the PS renderer and putting the
>needed postscript glue around the font informations.

If the API doesn't provide the necessary informations, then it will have
to be extended but we'll see that in a second step.

So I suggest you to start by having a look at the aXSL API, the code of
the PS renderer and the specifications of TrueType and Postscript. If
you have further questions then, just ask.

Vincent

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html
[2] http://www.axsl.org/font-r/

This email may contain material that is confidential, privileged and/or attorney work product for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Re: FOP embed truetype font into postscript file

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Actually, Type 1 embedding works for PostScript. It's just that so far
nobody needed TrueType support badly enough to do something about it.

On 06.10.2006 11:55:00 Nguyen, Thang wrote:
> Could you tell me why Fop doesn't do embeding font into ps output,
> what's the difficult thing in doing do so or dev-team is just being busy
> with other tasks ?

Jeremias Maerki