Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2011/11/03 13:43:25 UTC

New CAS Editor views

  Hi,

should we include the two new (TextMarker-)independent views, browser
and selection, in the next release, respectively move them to the CAS
Editor project?

Peter

Dipl.-Inf. Peter Klügl
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-86741
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: pkluegl@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/kluegl_peter/

Re: New CAS Editor views

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
  Am 04.11.2011 10:53, schrieb Jörn Kottmann:
> On 11/4/11 10:23 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if that's better. The outline only displays shown
>> annotations where the browser displays all and is able to show them
>> (checking the checkbox). We can plan to merge them in the long run,
>> but for now it's easier for the user to just switch the view than the
>> change the settings in the outline. I like both views and I am using
>> both representations in the same workflow.
>
> The biggest limitation I see here is that with the current design it
> is very hard to access Feature Structures
> which do not have uima.tcas.Annotation as a super type. Maybe that is
> something a more dedicated browser view
> could fix, and also support showing the indexes of the CAS.

The design of the outline and browser? I don't mind to have views only
for annotation-based feature structures because they can support many
use cases in a more direct way, e.g., selecting annotations in the
editor. Improving the handling of feature structures that are not based
on annotations might be a good thing, but I don't have enough experience
or use cases to know how to desgin it in a better way.

Re: New CAS Editor views

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 11/4/11 10:23 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:

> I don't know if that's better. The outline only displays shown
> annotations where the browser displays all and is able to show them
> (checking the checkbox). We can plan to merge them in the long run,
> but for now it's easier for the user to just switch the view than the
> change the settings in the outline. I like both views and I am using
> both representations in the same workflow.

The biggest limitation I see here is that with the current design it is
very hard to access Feature Structures
which do not have uima.tcas.Annotation as a super type. Maybe that is
something a more dedicated browser view
could fix, and also support showing the indexes of the CAS.

Jörn

Re: New CAS Editor views

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
  Am 03.11.2011 20:39, schrieb Jörn Kottmann:
> On 11/3/11 8:19 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>> To browse annotations you use the outline view, and for FSes the
>>> Feature Structure Browser
>>> view.
>>>

>> The browser displays all annotations in a tree sorted by their types
>> and provides filtering fields for the type name and the covered text.
>> So when you have many annotation of many different types, you can get
>> a faster overview of the annotations you are looking for.
>>

> A type tree representation is not always useful, so I believe we would
> need both flat and
> hierarchical types. What do you think to support both in the outline,
> and provide an option to choose
> the representation which suits the users needs. Like you can do in the
> "Project Explorer"?

I don't know if that's better. The outline only displays shown
annotations where the browser displays all and is able to show them
(checking the checkbox). We can plan to merge them in the long run, but
for now it's easier for the user to just switch the view than the change
the settings in the outline. I like both views and I am using both
representations in the same workflow.

> Search support could also be added, if I remember correctly there is
> already a jira for that.
>
>>> What does the selection view do? Shown annotations which a user
>>> could select at the caret position?
>>>

>> Yes, that is useful for me because I have a lot of overlapping
>> annotations. For example, I model some features for CRFs as
>> annotations with TextMarker rules and with this view I can inspect
>> the tokens.
>
> Selecting some kind of annotation or feature structure is still a weak
> spot in the Annotation Editor and
> the surrounding views.
>
> I am +1 to improve these things after 2.4.0,  then we have enough time
> to think everything through
> and can also improve other useability problems in one go.

I agree. In the new views there are also still some thing missing, I
think, like when selecting an annotation in the browser, it isn't set in
the edit view.

Re: New CAS Editor views

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: New CAS Editor views

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 03.11.2011 19:42, schrieb Jörn Kottmann:
> On 11/3/11 1:43 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>> should we include the two new (TextMarker-)independent views, browser
>> and selection, in the next release, respectively move them to the CAS
>> Editor project?
>
> I will look at them tomorrow. Aren't they similar to the views we
> already have?

Yes, but they were created for different use cases and that is what make
them useful, I think.

Re: New CAS Editor views

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.