Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David Welton <da...@apache.org> on 2006/11/30 21:44:27 UTC

OFBiz Graduation

Hello, since this hasn't been posted by anyone else, I thought I would
help move it along.

The vote is recorded here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200611.mbox/%3c6FEFF1E8-7963-41CF-A352-C28D0B024675@undersunconsulting.com%3e

This was also voted on here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ofbiz-dev/200611.mbox/thread?4

These guys have worked long and diligently for this to come about, and
I wish them all the best at the ASF.

==================================
open-source software related to enterprise automation, for
distribution at no charge to the public.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "The Apache Open For
Business Project" (also known as "Apache OFBiz"), be and
hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation;
and be it further

RESOLVED, that The Apache Open For Business Project be and
hereby is responsible for the creation and maintenance of
a software project related to generic enterprise information
automation such as enterprise resource planning, customer
relationship management, materials requirements planning,
enterprise asset management, enterprise content management
and electronic commerce that can be used as a basis for
custom solutions, industry specific products, and other
higher level systems.

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Open For
Business" be and hereby is created, the person holding such
office to serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as
the chair of The Apache Open For Business Project, and to have
primary responsibility for management of the projects within
the scope of responsibility of The Apache Open For Business
Project; and be it further

hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of The
Apache Open For Business Project:

   * David E. Jones     (jonesde@apache.org)
   * Jacopo Cappellato  (jacopoc@apache.org)
   * Si Chen 	       (sichen@apache.org)
   * Andy Zeneski       (jaz@apache.org)
   * Hans Bakker        (hansbak@apache.org)
   * Al Byers 	       (byersa@apache.org)
   * Yoav Shapira       (yoavs@apache.org)
   * David Welton       (davidw@apache.org)

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that David E. Jones be
and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Open
For Business, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
and hereby is tasked with the migration and rationalization of
the Apache Incubator Open For Business podling; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
Incubator Open For Business podling encumbered upon the Apache
Incubator PMC are hereafter discharged.
==============

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.
On Thursday 30 November 2006 14:56, Si Chen wrote:
> Unbelievable--I think we owe an especially big thanks to Jacopo for
> all the time he spent reviewing past contributors and to David Jones
> for his work on the transaction manager switch to Geronimo, which
> worked without a single problem, and of course the support of
> everybody in this group.

That transaction manager switch is incredibly useful even without the massive
propaganda world-domination effects of the Apache brand name. Hooray David!

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean@brainfood.com

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by "mrisaliti@libero.it" <mr...@libero.it>.
Great news!,

Also I would say a special thanks for the big jobs done by Jacopo,
David and all the ofbizians.

Marco

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by Rafik Kafel <ka...@gmail.com>.
Congratulation David and everybody who worked hard on "Apache OFBiz"!
I will be pushing hard to have it implemented at our company.

Thanks again,

Rafik

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de>.
Hi,

congratulations to the whole Apache OFBiz-project.
You do a great work! Go for it! ;)

Best regards,
Fabian.

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by david reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>.
David Welton wrote:
> Hi, with the pending graduation of OFBiz, there is some enthusiasm for
> talking it up.  I've CC'ed the PRC, which is the group in Apache
> responsible for communications/PR sorts of things in order to see if
> they have any advice, since they have a few people who are
> professionals in that field, and volunteer some of their time with
> Apache.
>
> Jacopo correctly notes that the graduation hasn't actually occurred
> yet, but I still think that some amount of noise wouldn't hurt.  PR
> dudes, what do you think: a bit of noise now, more when the top level
> project is created and visible, and more when a release is cut, or
> more of a big-bang approach?
>
> However, I think it would also be a good idea to "manage
> expectations", as they say - OFBiz's code hasn't really changed from
> one day to the next, this is mostly an organizational milestone, so
> I'm not sure I would push the message of "go try OFBiz now".
>
> Perhaps Si's suggestion that simply writing about it on blogs is about
> the right level of "noise" at this point in time.  Another avenue
> might be to talk with the feathercast (http://feathercast.org/) folks,
> who I have CC'ed as well, depending on their schedule.

Sure :-)

We've already have a piece on OfBiz in the can, but maybe a brief update
for this news would be a good addition?

Let us know when you're around and we'll schedule something.

BTW, we're also looking for people to talk to us about "their year"
(highlights/lowligts etc) for an end of year wrap up show - volunteers
welcome to get in touch :-)

--
david

Have you listened to FeatherCast yet?
http://feathercast.org/

Bought the t-shirt?
http://www.cafepress.com/feathercast/

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by Chandresh Turakhia <ch...@bhartitelesoft.com>.
Hi ,

Nice that ofbiz is graduating. I will love to see it integrated with Apache
components.

(1) ServiceMix
(2) XAL

The main reason for such request is partly "Internal Marketing " of ofbiz.
To convinue huge developement teams say size of 100, if product has 10
unknown/not much components like freemarker etc, it takes a lot to convince
them to use the same.

Instead if you say , look buddies it is same as your last project . it has
struts ; spring etc. people accept it immediately. Otherwise to train 100
developers is gigantic step for organization and people say we will develop
new product in that time.

Chand

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
On 12/1/06, Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com> wrote:
> Grassroots blogging would be a good idea.  Nothing fancy: just why
> you think it's a good thing and what you hope it'll do for OFBiz.
> Please post your blog here--as always, I'd love to hear feedback from
> everybody.  If you're a service provider, it should be good exposure
> for your business too.

Speaking of which, anyone who is a committer can add themselves to
planetapache.org via the committers module.

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
Not cold water...actually a good thing as far as
marketing goes.  Si's suggestion earlier about blog
write ups was very good.  We need more coordinated
efforts ready to go if/when the ASF votes in favor in
order to get the greatest exposure and grow our
community even more.  A few things that may help for a
marketing push:

1) A clear, concise write up announcement that can be
submitted to digg.com and the community can digg up.
2) A fast motion video of the demo in action.
3) Have we identified anything specifically that needs
completion for a binary official release?  I get the
feeling that a graduation date snapshot (or a few days
before RCs) of sorts would be sufficient at this
point.

any other ideas?

RE: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by Amit Shinde <am...@amicontech.com>.
Ahh! I will save my greetings till December 20th then. Irrespective of that,
I think OFBiz is an awesome framework and its good to see how active the
community is. Hats off to everyone's effort!

Amit Shinde

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi all,

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by "Alex D. Fleming" <al...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

--
Regards
Alex D. Fleming

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.
Hey everybody -

Let's all blog about OFBiz graduating!  Here's my entry about it:
http://opensourcestrategies.blogspot.com/2006/11/ofbiz-graduates-in-
apache-software.html

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by Anil Patel <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: OFBiz Graduation

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <to...@yahoo.com>.
It's really great news.
> [...]

> President, Open
> For Business, to serve in accordance with and
> subject to the
> direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws
> of the
> Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
> removal or
> disqualification, or until a successor is appointed;
> and be it
> further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business
> Project be
> and hereby is tasked with the migration and
> rationalization of
> the Apache Incubator Open For Business podling; and
> be it
> further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the
> Apache
> Incubator Open For Business podling encumbered upon

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com