Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> on 2016/06/22 19:41:26 UTC

Juju testing

Hi!

I see a lot of JIRAs coming in with Charm support. This is super
exciting for me and I'm more than happy to review and commit.

However, given the # of them coming, I'm wondering if somebody
can comment on a way to test these without spinning full blown
Juju deployments on EC2.

So... does somebody on a Mac OS (yes I know -- its a corporate decision :-()
test something like (see my last comment there):

Roman.

Re: Juju testing

Posted by Pete Vander Giessen <pe...@canonical.com>.
Hi Cos,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 7:53 PM Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:

> Last time I checked (back in April) bundletester wasn't working with Juju
> 2.
> Has it been fixed recently?

bundletester works for me with beta7 and beta8 of juju 2.0. I've had some
trouble w/ betas 9 and 10 due to some breaking changes to the API. I'm not
certain what the ETA is for a fix.

I believe that the charmbox:devel docker container is currently running
beta7 -- that's probably the easiest/most straightforward way of getting
things running. Docs here:
https://github.com/juju-solutions/charmbox/tree/devel

~ PeteVG

Re: Juju testing

Posted by Konstantinos Tsakalozos <ko...@canonical.com>.
Hi Roman, all,

You might also find charmbox [1] useful. With charmbox you have your
testing environment in a container so you do not "pollute" your work space
with whatever the tests want to install in your system.

The bigtop charms have an action called smoke-test that is meant to perform
a quick sanity check. The smoke-test action may run the bigtop smoke tests
for the deployed roles given that the bigtop smoke tests exist and their
time requirements are reasonable.  We also have a test in every charm that
deploys an infrastructure and then triggers the smoke-test action. Note
that since we have charms under review you might need to alter the above
test so as to deploy charms that already exist. For example, while testing
Kafka you might need to deploy apache-zookeeper in the place of (bigtop)
zookeeper in [2].

Thanks,
Konstantinos

[1] https://github.com/juju-solutions/charmbox
[2]
https://github.com/juju-solutions/bigtop/blob/kafka/bigtop-packages/src/charm/kafka/layer-kafka/tests/02-smoke-test.py

Re: Juju testing

Posted by Merlijn Sebrechts <me...@gmail.com>.
It should work with Juju 2.0. They fixed some 2.0 issues recently.

Op maandag 27 juni 2016 heeft Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> het
volgende geschreven:

Re: Juju testing

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.