Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Tao Lin <li...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/14 07:50:26 UTC

How to migrate instances of OpenStack to Cloudstack.

Hi,all:
   Is there any method to move instances from Openstack to Cloudstack? Both
OS and CS are using KVM as hypervisor.

Best regards.

RE: How to migrate instances of OpenStack to Cloudstack.

Posted by David Ortiz <dp...@outlook.com>.
We were able to get vmware images running in cloudstack with kvm hypervisor using qemu-img, but we also had to add the step of going in using a recovery image to switch all the disk lables from sdx to vdx since that's how they were being referenced once we switched hypervisors.

Posted by Jason Pavao <ja...@oracle.com>.

--
Thanks.
-Jason

Re: How to migrate instances of OpenStack to Cloudstack.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Kirk Jantzer <ki...@gmail.com>.
That's because you shouldn't really be importing/exporting between clouds.
The best way to avoid any issues would be to have your instances built from
from a clean ISO install and then have them run post scripts or via a
config manager (puppet, chef, etc...). This can be achieved in both Windows
and Linux instances and will give you the most flexibility between any IaaS
provider, hardware of cloud.

Kirk Jantzer
c: (678) 561-5475
http://about.met/kirkjantzer

Re: How to migrate instances of OpenStack to Cloudstack.

Posted by Jason Pavao <ja...@oracle.com>.

--
Thanks.
-Jason

Re: How to migrate instances of OpenStack to Cloudstack.

Posted by Kirk Jantzer <ki...@gmail.com>.
It is my belief that the cloud is the IaaS and that the applications that
run on the cloud should be built for failure of the IaaS: they
(instances/applications) should be rapidly deployable. So, it shouldn't
matter what cloud product (openstack/cloudstack/vmware/aws/etc...) you
provide to your customers, they should be able to redeploy their
application whereever they go or are given for IaaS.

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Jason Pavao <ja...@oracle.com>wrote:

> This is a VERY high level of the steps, dealing with different
> Hyper-visors will produce varying results.
>
> Is there a low level guide to importing/exporting imagery between kvm, xen
> and  vmware?
>
> Something concise enough to work well with any cloud?
>
> -jason
>

> On 7/14/2013 12:18 AM, Nils Vogels wrote:
>
>> Hi Tao Lin,
>>
>> Currently, the only way known to me is
>>
>> 1) Stop the instance in OpenStack
>> 2) Import the instance as a template
>> 3) Create a new instance, based on that template
>> 4) Run the new instance in CloudStack
>> 5) Discard the OpenStack instance
>>
>> HTH & HAND.
>>
>> Nils
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Tao Lin <li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,all:
>>>     Is there any method to move instances from Openstack to Cloudstack?
>>> Both
>>> OS and CS are using KVM as hypervisor.
>>>

>>> Best regards.
>>>

> --
> Thanks.
> -Jason

Kirk Jantzer
c: (678) 561-5475
http://about.met/kirkjantzer

Re: How to migrate instances of OpenStack to Cloudstack.

Posted by Jason Pavao <ja...@oracle.com>.

--
Thanks.
-Jason

Re: How to migrate instances of OpenStack to Cloudstack.

Posted by Nils Vogels <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tao Lin,

--
Simple guidelines to happiness: