Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com> on 2013/06/19 16:35:37 UTC

disk_io_throttle and solidfire Patch Review Status

All,

Since the threads discussing these patches have been very long, I want to roll up the issue list, and ensure that we are on track to have them resolved before the 4.2.  The following is my current issue list and the associated status:

Mutual Exclusion of hypervisor throttled I/O and storage provisioned IOPS on a per volume basis:  Mike is working to implement a user interface that prevents a user from configured both on a single volume, as well as, service level checks to verify that both types of QoS are not defined for a single volume.
Verify available device capacity for provisioned IOPS: Mike has reported completion of the code, and will push the changes to Review Board shortly.
Verify available hypervisor capacity for throttled I/O: Unknown -- I have not seen any feedback on this issue from Wei.
Enhancement of usage data to reflect use of provisioned IOPS and throttled I/O: We have had some conversations on how usage records should reflect when these QoS are being used, but we have not arrived at answer/solution.  Both patches likely require modification to address this issue.

Finally, we need to ensure that the code-level issues identified in Review Board have also been addressed, and then we can run through a final review pre merge.

Thanks,
-John

Re: disk_io_throttle and solidfire Patch Review Status

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
No problem :)

Just wanted to let you know that it's there and that I believe I've
completed all of what you, Wei, and I talked about.

Thanks!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Mike,

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Comments below in red.

Thanks

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 8:35 AM, John Burwell <jb...@basho.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> Since the threads discussing these patches have been very long, I want to
> roll up the issue list, and ensure that we are on track to have them
> resolved before the 4.2.  The following is my current issue list and the
> associated status:
>

>    - Mutual Exclusion of hypervisor throttled I/O and storage provisioned
>    IOPS on a per volume basis:  Mike is working to implement a user interface
>    that prevents a user from configured both on a single volume, as well as,
>    service level checks to verify that both types of QoS are not defined for a
>    single volume.
>
> I should have this completed today (mainly done already, but I have some
(un-related) meetings to attend before I can get back to this and finish
it).

>    - Verify available device capacity for provisioned IOPS: Mike has
>    reported completion of the code, and will push the changes to Review Board
>    shortly.
>
> Yep...this is part of the diff file I pushed to Review Board yesterday.

>    - Verify available hypervisor capacity for throttled I/O: Unknown -- I
>    have not seen any feedback on this issue from Wei.
>    - Enhancement of usage data to reflect use of provisioned IOPS and
>    throttled I/O: We have had some conversations on how usage records should
>    reflect when these QoS are being used, but we have not arrived at
>    answer/solution.  Both patches likely require modification to address this
>    issue.
>
> This is something I have little knowledge of (usage statistics). Please
let me know if you feel I need to make some changes for this. Thanks!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*