Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by "Venu Madhav.Yelamanchili" <vy...@miraclesoft.com> on 2007/04/28 17:58:56 UTC

Bug

 Hi,
 I tried to use the datagrid tags provided by apache. I found a code
segment
like ui:dataGrid items="${alist}". But this is not working for me. bcoz the
items attribute in gridtaglib is not accepting runtime expressions. please
provide the correct usage of your grid taglibs. ?

Venu madhav.Yelamanchili

Software Trainee

Miracle Software Systems

Email: vyelamanchili@miraclesoft.com

Re: Bug

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
It appears to me that Datagrid requires JSTL 1.0 and JSP 1.2 from
reading the thread below. This means that unless you can patch
Datagrid yourself or wait for the bug to be patched , you'll have to
downgrade a few things like JSTL jar file, Web Container that supports
JSP 1.2.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-taglibs-user/200412.mbox/%3CPMEMJIBHGBFBGEPPHBMLCELGCAAA.Olaf.Bergner@de.easynet.net%3E

> You're doing everything right. The problem is that the datagrid
> tag was made
> for JSP 1.2 working with JSTL 1.0. I will try to modify the tag
> to see if I
> can make it work with JSP 2.0. It shouldn't be a lot of work.

Feel free to report a bug on Bugzilla:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/bugs.html , if there is no duplicate in
Bugzilla.

-Regards
Rashmi

Re: Bug

Posted by "Venu Madhav.Yelamanchili" <vy...@miraclesoft.com>.
Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
> Again, what version of JSTL ?

Am using JSTL1.1

Re: Bug

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
Again, what version of JSTL ?

Re: Bug

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
I just wanted to be clear, this is the web.xml located under your project---

/WEB-INF/web.xml

-Rashmi

Re: Bug

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
> Hi reshmi,
>                      That s right. To use the grid am not using JSTL. Am
> using EL. For now its ok. But am sure the problem will arise in the
> future.

You can create multiple projects with the same instance of Tomcat.
Each project can have it's own web.xml with separate Servlet specifications.

For e.g one project can have web.xml of Servlet 2.4 and another with Servlet 2.2

Tomcat configuration is out of the scope of this list, but there's a
Tomcat user mailing list for specific questions.

>Ok can I know where your are working.

-Rashmi

Re: Bug

Posted by venu madhav <vy...@miraclesoft.com>.
Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
> On 4/29/07, venu madhav <vy...@miraclesoft.com> wrote:
>> Hi Rashmi,
>>                     Thank you very much for providing me the solution.
>> So , we can conclude that the taglib was written using old spec and it
>> was not updated isn't it.
>> Any way thanks once again for solving my problem. Have a nice day.
>
> Hi Venu,
>
> You're welcome. It appears that DataGrid was not updated to Servlet
> 2.3, 2.4 or 2.5 spec.
>
> I got the above Servlet 2.2 DTD from the datagrid-examples.war which
> came with jakarta-taglibs-sandbox-datagrid-20060829.
>
> I'm trying DataGrid out the first time and it has very impressive
> functionality. If I knew how to upgrade it to the current spec, I
> would submit a patch but at this time I don't know about writing or
> modifying custom taglibs.
>
> I don't know if you plan to use other taglibs like JSTL, you mentioned
> you have JSTL 1.1.x
> And JSTL 1.1.x requires a web.xml that conforms to Servlet 2.4 spec,
> but DataGrid requires a Servlet 2.2 web.xml ---- just letting you know
> in advance.
>
> -Regards
> Rashmi

Hi reshmi,
                     That s right. To use the grid am not using JSTL. Am
using EL. For now its ok. But am sure the problem will arise in the
future. Ok can I know where your are working.

Re: Bug

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bug

Posted by venu madhav <vy...@miraclesoft.com>.

Re: Bug

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Venu,

<%@ taglib uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/datagrid-1.0" prefix="ui" %>

Re: Bug

Posted by venu madhav <vy...@miraclesoft.com>.
Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
> On 4/29/07, venu madhav <vy...@miraclesoft.com> wrote:
>> Rashmi,
>>                  I understood what you are saying. I want to make clear
>> that there is no wrong in my web.xml .
>
> Hi Venu,
>
> Just to be clear, please elaborate on what you mean by "there is no
> wrong in my web.xml" , it would be helpful if you posted the web-app
> node in /WEB-INF/web.xml
>
>> the error am facing is with the
>> tld file I got with it. The error I got says that the datagrid tag wont
>> support EL for items attribute.
>
>> But the examples I got from the
>> apache.org site contains EL for items attribute. How is it possible I
>> didnt understand. Please check once again. All the technoligies am using
>> are absolutely correct.
>
> I will try to replicate this problem here, but first please post
> web-app of web.xml ,
> it is a widely known fact that EL will not evaluate if web.xml doesn't
> conform to
> the same specification as the one used by the servlet container.
>
> -Regards
> Rashmi

Rashmi,
                  I mean to say that the node
<?xml version="1.0">

<web-app version="2.4"
        xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"

</web-app>

is exactly as it is in my web.xml . Ok if you have any other example
done using the same taglib, please send it to me. It may be helpfull for me.

Re: Bug

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bug

Posted by venu madhav <vy...@miraclesoft.com>.
Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
> [...]
>> >
>> >      th a:visited   { text-decoration: none; color: #3C4D81 }
>> >
>> >      .item          { background-color: #303D66; color: white;
>> > font-weight: bold }
>> >
>> >      .hiliterows    { background-color: #CDBD4F }
>> >
>> >      .alternaterows { background-color: #D3C971; border: 1px solid
>> #000000
>> > }
>> >
>> >      .header        { background-color: #F4F7FC; border-top: 2px solid
>> > #D7E1F2; border-bottom: 2px solid #D7E1F2 }
>> >
>> >      .footer        { background-color: #F4F7FC; border-top: 2px solid
>> > #D7E1F2; border-bottom: 2px solid #D7E1F2 }
>> >
>> >      .datagrid      { border: 1px solid #AEBBD4; color: #3C4D81;
>> > font-family: arial; font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold }

>> > charset=iso-8859-1">
>> > </head>
>> > <h3>Example 4</h3>
>> > <ui:dataGrid* items="${employees}"* var="employee" name="datagrid1"
>> > cellPadding="0" cellSpacing="0" scroll="true" width="600" height="100"
>> > styleClass="datagrid">
>> >   <columns>    <column width="100">
>> >       <header value="Select" hAlign="center" styleClass="header"/>
>> >       <item  hAlign="center" styleClass="item">
>> >       <![CDATA[      <input type="radio" name="employee"
>> > value="${employee.firstName} ${employee.lastName}"/>      ]]>
>> >       </item>
>> >       <footer styleClass="footer"/>
>> >     </column>
>> >     <column width="100" order="true">
>> >       <header value="Name" hAlign="center" styleClass="header"/>
>> >       <item   value="${employee.firstName} ${employee.lastName}"
>> > hAlign="left" styleClass="item"/>
>> >       <aggregate function="count" var="total"/>
>> >       <footer value="Total ${total}" hAlign="left"
>> styleClass="footer"/>
>> >     </column>
>> >     <column width="200" order="true">
>> >       <header value="Salary" hAlign="center" styleClass="header"/>
>> >       <item   value="${employee.salary}" hAlign="right"
>> > pattern="$#,##0.00" styleClass="item"/>
>> >       <aggregate function="avg" pattern="$#,##0.00" var="total"/>
>> >       <footer value="Average ${total}" hAlign="right"
>> > styleClass="footer"/>
>> >     </column>
>> >     <column width="200" order="true">
>> >       <header value="Bonus" hAlign="center" styleClass="header"/>
>> >       <item   value="${employee.bonus}" hAlign="right"
>> > pattern="$#,##0.00" styleClass="item"/>
>> >       <aggregate function="avg" pattern="$#,##0.00" var="total"/>
>> >       <footer value="Average ${total}" hAlign="right"
>> > styleClass="footer"/>
>> >     </column>
>> >   </columns>  <footer        show="true"/>
>> >   <rows          hiliteStyleClass="hiliterows"/>
>> >   <order         imgAsc="up.gif" imgDesc="down.gif"/>
>> > </ui:dataGrid>
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Venu madhav.Yelamanchili
>> >
>> > Software Trainee
>> >
>> > Miracle Software Systems
>> >
>> > Email: vyelamanchili@miraclesoft.com

Rashmi,
                 I understood what you are saying. I want to make clear
that there is no wrong in my web.xml . the error am facing is with the

Re: Bug

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bug

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.