Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org> on 2000/01/24 21:23:18 UTC

New XML-SITE module structure, and documentation changes

I had few problems regenerating the documentation this week-end, mostly
due to my lack of ability on transmitting informations to the proper
people (read, the ones who write documentation).

It's better, so, to fix a couple of stuff, and, at the same time, make
some changes that will inprove, IMVHO, the documenation process of all
our subproject.

The XML-SITE is the basic repository for DTDs, styles and target output.
It's structure will be the following:

/home/cvs/xml-site/style (the shared-repository)
/home/cvs/xml-site/style/dtd (all dtds)
/home/cvs/xml-site/targets (the generated HTML+images)
/home/cvs/xml-site/sources (the source XML)

Since the task is to enable stand-alone document generation, I would
like to propose to each project the following structure:

/home/cvs/xml-XXX/???/docs (the root documentation)
/home/cvs/xml-XXX/???/docs/sources (the project source XML doc files)
/home/cvs/xml-XXX/???/docs/style (a symlink to
                                  /home/cvs/xml-site/style)

Then in "/home/cvs/xml-site/sources" there will be symlinks to each
individual project doc sources. For example:

> /home/cvs/xml-site/sources/xerces-j -> /home/cvs/xml-xerces/java/docs/sources

Whoever write documentation can commit changes in either the project
module itself, or in the xml-site module, and those changes will be
reflected in the other module.

As for the book files, we need to have two of them, I was thinking about
having two copies of them, one with the sources (that could be used to
generate the documentation) and one in the xml-site module that can be
used to generate on line docs for the website (mainly because in the
shipped docs we don't want to have a link to the top "website" page
(first link in most projects on the sidebar).

How about it? Can I go on and make those tweaks, build the scripts, and
so on?

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

Re: New XML-SITE module structure, and documentation changes

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Fotis Jannidis wrote:

> Pier,
> your improvement look good to me. While you are working at it, maybe you could
> consider two more points:
>
> 1) a script for each project which let the maintainer of the project/documentation update
> the project's part of the website

Using ant??? Do we all agree??? (I really don't care!)

> 2) removal of the proprietary sbk:/ protocol

Yep... I was thinking about getting rid of it... It has no real use and
just confuses all the stuff.

> Maybe I missed something: Is the new dtd for xml-site already finished?

I don't want to hear ANYONE talking to me about DTDs... I don't even
want to touch this argument. I don't know and I don't want to know.
If someone wants to update the DTD, I'll just build the styles for it,
but, at this point, I just want to know exactly what to do... I'm not
going to propose any more changes/addition/features/improvements
whaever... Since everytime I talk it seems that the whole world is going
to blame me.

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.

Re: New XML-SITE module structure, and documentation changes