Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Kurt Starsinic <ks...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/08 23:21:12 UTC

[lucy-dev] Dumb (?) Lucy build question

OK, I did a "git pull" on master from git://github.com/apache/lucy.git and
I have a clean checkout. Following the directions in "INSTALL":

% cd perl
% perl Build.PL
Base class package "Clownfish::CFC::Perl::Build" is empty.
    (Perhaps you need to 'use' the module which defines that package first,
    or make that module available in @INC (@INC contains: buildlib
/Users/kstar/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.19.0/lib/site_perl/5.19.0/darwin-2level
/Users/kstar/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.19.0/lib/site_perl/5.19.0
/Users/kstar/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.19.0/lib/5.19.0/darwin-2level
/Users/kstar/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.19.0/lib/5.19.0 .).
 at buildlib/Lucy/Build.pm line 23.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at buildlib/Lucy/Build.pm line 23.
Compilation failed in require at Build.PL line 21.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Build.PL line 21.

I don't see anything in the docs about this, and code diving has not
enlightened me. What am I missing?

- Kurt

Re: [lucy-dev] Dumb (?) Lucy build question

Posted by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de>.
On Aug 2, 2014, at 23:40 , Kurt Starsinic <ks...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I've been busy, but I just now picked up this issue again. Nick, thanks
> for patching the INSTALL. I'll continue to work on this in my Copious Free
> Time. I have some comments, in case somebody has a canned response prepared:
>
> lucy/perl/INSTALL claims that one option is to install the "Perl
> distributions Clownfish and Clownfish::CFC". I took this to mean that I
> would find said distributions on CPAN. However, I did not. Is this an error
> in my understanding, or in someone else's uploading?

Clownfish and Clownfish::CFC haven’t been released on CPAN yet.

> clownfish/INSTALL seems to suggest that I should be able to cd into
> runtime/perl, follow the instructions there, and Bob's your uncle. In
> particular, it says that the runtime requires the compiler, and will build
> it if necessary. This does not seem to be the case. :(

If you run ‘perl/Build.PL && ./Build’ in clownfish/runtime/perl, the compiler in clownfish/compiler/perl should be built. The warning about a missing Clownfish::CFC can be ignored. The compiler won’t be installed if you run ‘./Build install’ in runtime/perl, though. You also have to run ‘./Build install’ in compiler/perl.

If you install to a non-standard location, you’ll also have to set the CLOWNFISH_INCLUDE environment variable when building Lucy. This requirement will soon be lifted. The variable should point to the Clownfish/_include directory underneath your install destination.

Another option is to build Lucy from an uninstalled Clownfish source tree. Assuming you're in a directory containing the Clownfish and Lucy repos, run:

    cd clownfish/runtime/perl
    perl Build.PL
    ./Build
    cd ../../..

    source clownfish/devel/bin/setup_env.sh
    cd lucy/perl
    perl Build.PL
    ./Build

Nick

Re: [lucy-dev] Dumb (?) Lucy build question

Posted by Kurt Starsinic <ks...@gmail.com>.
So I've been busy, but I just now picked up this issue again. Nick, thanks
for patching the INSTALL. I'll continue to work on this in my Copious Free
Time. I have some comments, in case somebody has a canned response prepared:

lucy/perl/INSTALL claims that one option is to install the "Perl
distributions Clownfish and Clownfish::CFC". I took this to mean that I
would find said distributions on CPAN. However, I did not. Is this an error
in my understanding, or in someone else's uploading?

clownfish/INSTALL seems to suggest that I should be able to cd into
runtime/perl, follow the instructions there, and Bob's your uncle. In
particular, it says that the runtime requires the compiler, and will build
it if necessary. This does not seem to be the case. :(

Later,
Kurt

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com> wrote:
> agreed, though I suspect this is what Marvin and Nick are referring to when
> they talked about showing/hiding the Clownfish API. Showing it (imo) is
> documenting it, and that's the piece that I think we're trying to
> soft-launch with 0.4 by intentionally *not* documenting its existence.

Yes, that's exactly right -- but fixed cadence releases are also an important
part of the strategy.  A huge amount of work has gone into Clownfish over
several years; rather than publish everything in one overwhelming code drop, I
think we build excitement and community most effectively by releasing
coherent, distilled pieces on a predictable schedule...

First cadence release, later this month: Opaque Clownfish, separated from
Lucy, with a call for hackers.

Second cadence release, August: clownfish-starter, tutorial and a sample
project.

Third cadence release, September: TBD

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] Dumb (?) Lucy build question

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.
Logan Bell wrote on 7/9/14 12:43 PM:
> Further, I think we should go over the documentation we have on lucy.apache.org
> <http://lucy.apache.org> and update accordingly. I don't see any reference to
> Clownfish and its associated repo: http://lucy.apache.org/version_control.html

agreed, though I suspect this is what Marvin and Nick are referring to when they
talked about showing/hiding the Clownfish API. Showing it (imo) is documenting
it, and that's the piece that I think we're trying to soft-launch with 0.4 by
intentionally *not* documenting its existence.

However, for people who want to hack on the code and contribute (rather than
simply use it), some elementary bootstrapping instructions like what Marvin
wrote earlier on this thread, would be helpful.

Kurt, if you find Marvin's instructions helpful, would you be willing to work up
a patch to CONTRIBUTING?

Re: [lucy-dev] Dumb (?) Lucy build question

Posted by Logan Bell <lo...@gmail.com>.
Further, I think we should go over the documentation we have on
lucy.apache.org and update accordingly. I don't see any reference to
Clownfish and its associated repo:
http://lucy.apache.org/version_control.html

Thanks,
Logan

Posted by Logan Bell <lo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.

Posted by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de>.
On 17/02/2018 02:06, keith20mm wrote:
> I get the shell reply "Badly placed ()'s."
>
> My shell is csh, so I tried to replace sh in the setup_clownfish_env.sh with
> csh, but made no difference, so I put that back to sh.

setup_clownfish_env.sh is a POSIX shell script and doesn't work under csh.

> What should I try to complete the build?

setup_clownfish_env.sh is a developer tool which allows to build Lucy from an
uninstalled Clownfish source tree. As a normal user, you should install the
Clownfish compiler and runtime before building Lucy:

     cd clownfish/compiler/perl
     perl Build.PL
     ./Build test
     ./Build install

     cd ../../runtime/perl
     perl Build.PL
     ./Build test
     ./Build install

     cd ../../../lucy/perl
     perl Build.PL
     ./Build test
     ./Build install

Nick

Re: [lucy-dev] Dumb (?) Lucy build question

Posted by keith20mm <kd...@sbcglobal.net>.
When I get to the line:

source ../devel/bin/setup_clownfish_env.sh ../../clownfish

in

Marvin Humphrey wrote
>   git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucy.git
>   git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucy-clownfish.git \
>     clownfish
>   git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucy-charmonizer.git \
>     charmonizer
>   cd clownfish/runtime/perl
>   perl Build.PL
>   ./Build test
>   cd ../../../lucy/perl
>   source ../devel/bin/setup_clownfish_env.sh ../../clownfish
>   perl Build.PL
>   ./Build test

I get the shell reply "Badly placed ()'s."

My shell is csh, so I tried to replace sh in the setup_clownfish_env.sh with
csh, but made no difference, so I put that back to sh.

I looked through the .sh file and found nothing strange in any of the
parenthesis.

What should I try to complete the build?

Thanks in advance.

--
Sent from: http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/lucy-dev-f675133.html

Re: [lucy-dev] Dumb (?) Lucy build question

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Logan Bell <lo...@gmail.com>.
My first question is, why are you using Perl 5.19 and not 5.20? :)

Thanks,
Logan