Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Bernard Lupin <be...@yahoo.fr> on 2008/03/31 15:16:06 UTC

antrun plugin - GWT - add the source directory to the classpath

Hi all,
Using the antrun plugin, I'm trying to call an ant task which is launching
the GWT compiler. This ant task is based on the Joachim work at
http://braindump.dk/tech/gwt-task-for-ant/.

Something specific with GWT is that you must include the java source
directory in your classpath before calling the compiler. Unfortunatelly, I
can add all the needed jars in my classpath (gwt-user.jar,
gwt-dev-windows.jar, my ant-compile.jar ) using dependencies, but I don't
know how to add my source directory.

I tried to build an ant reference classpath with the maven.plugin.classpath
reference and the ${project.build.sourceDirectory} variable, but in all
cases my java task tells me "Unable to find
'com/company/gwt/MyModule.gwt.xml'.

I also tried to put all my java source files inside a jar and add the
corresponding dependency, in that case the GWT compilation works ! (but it
can't be a workarround, you agree ?).

So my question is : Does Maven provide a solution to add a directory to the
maven.plugin.classpath ?

Below is my pom.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>com.company.exemple</groupId>
  <artifactId>gwt-maven</artifactId>
  <packaging>war</packaging>
  <name>GWT Maven example</name>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>

  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <configuration>
          <source>1.5</source>
          <target>1.5</target>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>

      <plugin>
        <dependencies>
          <dependency>
            <groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>
            <artifactId>gwt-dev-windows</artifactId>
            <version>1.4.61</version>
            <scope>compile</scope>
          </dependency>
          <dependency>
            <groupId>com.company.gwt</groupId>
            <artifactId>ant-compile</artifactId>
            <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
            <scope>compile</scope>
          </dependency>
        </dependencies>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <phase>process-classes</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>run</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
              <tasks>
                <property name="maven_source_directory"
                  value="${project.build.sourceDirectory}" />
                <echo message="source directory:  ${maven_source_directory}"
/>
                <property name="maven_plugin_classpath"
refid="maven.plugin.classpath" />
                <echo message="maven_plugin_classpath:
${maven_plugin_classpath}" />
                <path id="my.classpath">
                  <pathelement path="${project.build.sourceDirectory}" />
                  <path refid="maven.plugin.classpath" />
                </path>

                <taskdef name="gwtcompile"

classname="com.francetelecom.clara.tool.gwt.GWTCompileTask"
                  classpathref="my.classpath" />
                <gwtcompile destdir="c:/tmp" optimize="true"
style="obfuscated">
                  <fileset dir="${maven_source_directory}">
                    <include name="**/*.gwt.xml" />
                  </fileset>
                </gwtcompile>
              </tasks>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

  <dependencies>

    <!-- GWT Dependencies -->
    <dependency>
      <groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>
      <artifactId>gwt-user</artifactId>
      <version>1.4.61</version>
      <scope>compile</scope>
    </dependency>

    <dependency>
      <groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>
      <artifactId>gwt-servlet</artifactId>
      <version>1.4.61</version>
      <scope>runtime</scope>
    </dependency>

    <!-- GUI Dependencies -->
    <dependency>
      <groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
      <artifactId>servlet-api</artifactId>
      <version>2.4</version>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>

    <dependency>
      <groupId>javax.servlet.jsp</groupId>
      <artifactId>jsp-api</artifactId>
      <version>2.1</version>
      <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>

  </dependencies>

</project>

Re: antrun plugin - GWT - add the source directory to the classpath [resolved]

Posted by Bernard Lupin <be...@yahoo.fr>.
Please excuse me Nicolas, I was certainly speaking about another maven
plugin, I'll try your link asap.

Returning to my initial problem, I've found a solution to add a directory to
the maven dependencies, which could be useful for other purposes.

The key is to use the <systemPath> available inside the <dependency> tag. So
here is my antrun plugin configuration :

	<build>
		<plugins>
			<plugin>
				<dependencies>
					<!-- ant task for GWT compilation -->
					<dependency>
						<groupId>
							com.company.gwt.tools
						</groupId>
						<artifactId>ant-compile</artifactId>
						<version>1.0</version>
						<scope>compile</scope>
					</dependency>
					<!-- The java sources must be in the classpath -->
					<!-- Group id and artifact id are not important -->
					<!-- ${project.build.sourceDirectory} is unknown here -->
					<dependency>
						<groupId>com.company.project</groupId>
						<artifactId>gwt-exemple</artifactId>
						<version>1.0</version>
						<scope>system</scope>
						<systemPath>src/main/java</systemPath>
					</dependency>
				</dependencies>
				<executions>
					<execution>
						<phase>process-classes</phase>
						<goals>
							<goal>run</goal>
						</goals>
						<configuration>
							<tasks>
								<taskdef name="gwtcompile"
									classname="dk.contix.ant.gwt.GWTCompileTask" />
								<echo
									message="Launching GWT compilation for ${project.name}" />
								<gwtcompile
									destdir="src/main/webapp"
									optimize="true" verbose="false" style="obfuscated">
									<fileset
										dir="${project.build.sourceDirectory}">
										<include name="**/*.gwt.xml" />
									</fileset>
								</gwtcompile>
							</tasks>
						</configuration>
					</execution>
				</executions>
			</plugin>
		</plugins>
	</build>

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
Such a suggestion should be made to GWT development team !

As the GWT compilation process is complex (read modules XML, find client
code and referenced objets...), there is no simple way to know some modified
java source file requires a GWT recompilation...

The javac compiler is also executed on every build but is fine enough not to

Posted by Bernard Lupin <be...@yahoo.fr>.
Hi Nicolas,

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.