Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk> on 2002/06/08 13:06:31 UTC

[html] design fun and
 fun

2 things to look at.

http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/mod_perl_site/display/3333-i-9a.html

1) the shade at the menu-bozes is decreased from 8px to 5px so it is not
so dominant (and space-consuming)

2) the <pre> sections for code are here somewhat terminal looking - this
is just an idea out of the blue (or black if you like) so take it as
inspiration. at least it associates a little bit to a prompt window. it
doesn't handle the root/normal user debate currently.

please remind me why we use a nowrap tag (<pre>) for promts and code
examples? i mean, would it be ok to wrap the text if it was clear for
the user that the line was wrapped?

./allan

Re: [html] design fun and
 fun

Posted by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at>.
Hi!

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 01:06:31PM +0200, allan wrote:
> http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/mod_perl_site/display/3333-i-9a.html
> 1) the shade at the menu-bozes is decreased from 8px to 5px so it is not
> so dominant (and space-consuming)

Looks nice, but IMO the shade add little to the functionality of the site.

+/-0

> 2) the <pre> sections for code are here somewhat terminal looking - this
> is just an idea out of the blue (or black if you like) so take it as
> inspiration. at least it associates a little bit to a prompt window.

But what about config file entries? We use those areas not only for command
prompts, but for a lot of other things.

eg:
http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/mod_perl_site/display/3333-i-9a.html#Callback_Hooks

IMO it would be nice to have different styles for different useages (like
your black background for commands to be entered at the prompt) but I think
it's impossible to implement this in POD.

--
 D_OMM      +---->  http://domm.zsi.at <-----+
 O_xyderkes |       neu:  Arbeitsplatz       |

Re: [html] design fun and
 fun

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 13:06 08.06.2002, allan wrote:
>2 things to look at.
>
>http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/mod_perl_site/display/3333-i-9a.html
>

>1) the shade at the menu-bozes is decreased from 8px to 5px so it is not
>so dominant (and space-consuming)

-1. I don't like shades :)

>2) the <pre> sections for code are here somewhat terminal looking - this
>is just an idea out of the blue (or black if you like) so take it as
>inspiration. at least it associates a little bit to a prompt window. it
>doesn't handle the root/normal user debate currently.

-1 too. It _might_ be ok for this page, where it's only commands and not
code, but I think that generally, it distracts too much. I prefer the
simple bar we have now.

>please remind me why we use a nowrap tag (<pre>) for promts and code
>examples? i mean, would it be ok to wrap the text if it was clear for
>the user that the line was wrapped?

Not sure what you mean, but I don't think lines should be wrapped. If we
keep with 74 chars per line, we should be ok, except for the
command-line/code samples that are really too long. Either way, it doesn't
matter that much, but wrapping might be confusing and hard to copy-paste.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: [html] design fun and
 fun

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Bill Moseley wrote:
> At 01:06 PM 06/08/02 +0200, allan wrote:
>
>>2 things to look at.
>>
>>http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/mod_perl_site/display/3333-i-9a.html
>>

>>1) the shade at the menu-bozes is decreased from 8px to 5px so it is not
>>so dominant (and space-consuming)
>

> I kind of like the shade.  A little jazzing up would be nice (remember I
> had those colorized logo suggestions?)

-1 on the current implementation, because the shade is not natural.

I'll be +0 if it looks normal :)

>>2) the <pre> sections for code are here somewhat terminal looking - this
>>is just an idea out of the blue (or black if you like) so take it as
>>inspiration.

-1

> I've always liked the blocks on some of the perldoc converters, such as:
>
>   http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/pod/perlfunc.html

-1,

the block ruin the reading experience. But first of all they don't work
on all browsers. I've tried this already with the guide.

>>please remind me why we use a nowrap tag (<pre>) for promts and code
>>examples? i mean, would it be ok to wrap the text if it was clear for
>>the user that the line was wrapped?
>

> I'd rather see it nowrap.  Also some browsers (Opera) will add a space
> where the break is so copy-n-paste doesn't work.

Yes, the text must be nowrap. The authors should worry that the text is
not too much wide.

Re: [html] design fun and
 fun

Posted by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org>.
At 01:06 PM 06/08/02 +0200, allan wrote:
>2 things to look at.
>
>http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/mod_perl_site/display/3333-i-9a.html
>

>1) the shade at the menu-bozes is decreased from 8px to 5px so it is not
>so dominant (and space-consuming)

I kind of like the shade.  A little jazzing up would be nice (remember I
had those colorized logo suggestions?)

>2) the <pre> sections for code are here somewhat terminal looking - this
>is just an idea out of the blue (or black if you like) so take it as
>inspiration.

I've always liked the blocks on some of the perldoc converters, such as:

  http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/pod/perlfunc.html

The black is too strong, IMO.

>please remind me why we use a nowrap tag (<pre>) for promts and code
>examples? i mean, would it be ok to wrap the text if it was clear for
>the user that the line was wrapped?

I'd rather see it nowrap.  Also some browsers (Opera) will add a space
where the break is so copy-n-paste doesn't work.

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org

Re: [html] design fun and
 fun

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@develooper.com>.
On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, allan wrote:

> 1) the shade at the menu-bozes is decreased from 8px to 5px so it is not
> so dominant (and space-consuming)

I still don't like them too much. =)

> 2) the <pre> sections for code are here somewhat terminal looking - this
> is just an idea out of the blue (or black if you like) so take it as
> inspiration. at least it associates a little bit to a prompt window. it
> doesn't handle the root/normal user debate currently.

I think it's great!

> please remind me why we use a nowrap tag (<pre>) for promts and code
> examples? i mean, would it be ok to wrap the text if it was clear for
> the user that the line was wrapped?

nah. :-/

however, we should try to always break the lines with \ so they stay
short.

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen, http://ask.netcetera.dk/   !try; do();