Posted to apachecon-discuss@apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2016/05/06 12:39:48 UTC

Apache Big Data / ApacheCon conference Invitation Letter required for Non-US Citizens?

Hi all,

Preparing for my trip to Vancouver tomorrow, I only now noticed the following
on the event site [1]:

   "As of March 15, 2016, Canada requires all non-US citizens to have either a
    visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) AND an Invitation Letter from
    the conference to enter the country."

It then goes on with providing a link to request such an Invitation Letter [2],
but that ends up with the following text:

   "Visa letter requests are not currently being accepted. Please check back
    soon."

I'm puzzled what this is all about and if such Invitation Letter is required
indeed. And if so, how about getting one on a short notice?

Note, I already did apply for and receive the ETA.

Regards, Ate

[1]
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-north-america/attend/hotel-and-travel
[2]
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-north-america/attend/visa-request

Re: Apache Big Data / ApacheCon conference Invitation Letter required for Non-US Citizens?

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

> On 06 05 2016, at 12:02, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>

> On 05/06/2016 11:53 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> ( A Visa OR eTA ) AND ( invitation )
>>
>> I looked it up on their site only only a few countries needed an invitation, basically if you need a visa you need an invitation letter. Sorry I can’t remember / find the link.
>>

> yeah ... the canadian travel site and the apachecon site don't
> completely agree.

Happens; Vancouver, BC, finds itself part of another country.
Some links that might help travellers to the event:

http://www.canadianaffair.com/travel-information/travel-documents
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/

That last link has:

> New entry requirement now in effect
>
> Visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.
> Note: Until September 29, 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport. During this leniency period, border services officers can let travellers arriving without an eTA into the country, as long as they meet the other requirements to enter Canada. Find answers to your questions about the leniency period.

-louis

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> ( A Visa OR eTA ) AND ( invitation )

I looked it up on their site only only a few countries needed an invitation, basically if you need a visa you need an invitation letter. Sorry I can’t remember / find the link.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Apache Big Data / ApacheCon conference Invitation Letter required for Non-US Citizens?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 05/06/2016 10:50 AM, Ate Douma wrote:
> On 2016-05-06 16:38, Rich Bowen wrote:

>>> Thanks Rich!
>>>
>>> Would be good if LF adds this to the event sites.
>>>

>> It's on the Hotel/Travel pages:
>>
>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apache-big-data-north-america/attend/hotel-and-travel
>>

>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-north-america/attend/hotel-and-travel
>>

> Well, no.
> Those pages say that for *Non-US-Citizen* you need:
>
>   "to have either a visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
>    AND an Invitation Letter from the conference to enter Canada."
>
> Note the capital AND in that sentence.
>
> So I think those pages are confusing for Non-US Citizen in this regard.

Yes, you need

( A Visa OR eTA ) AND ( invitation )

( A OR B ) AND C

I think it's phrased correctly. However, I'd bring whatever you can get,
just to be on the safe side.

When I said "suffices", I meant "suffices as an invitation letter". I
can see that I was unclear.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.
I mailed and asked Jillian and she resent me a mail that start with:

"

I am pleased to invite you (and confirm your registration) to
attend/participate in Apache: Big Data North America 2016 which will be
held May 9 - 12, 2016 in Vancouver, Canada.

Apache: Big Data North America will gather together the Apache projects,
people and technologies working in Big Data, ubiquitous computing and data
engineering and science to educate, collaborate, and connect in a
completely project-neutral environment. It is the only event that brings
together the full suite of Big Data open source projects."

Which is supposedly what they meant.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.