Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk> on 2003/09/10 12:22:43 UTC

What is a suri?

In the CLI code, there is a variable called suri. I've never been able
to work out what its name means, and thus what its purpose is. Can
anyone explain?

Also, there are points in the code where a URI is deparameterized and
then reparameterized. What is the point in this?

Regards, Upayavira

Re: What is a suri?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> In the CLI code, there is a variable called suri. I've never been
>> able to work out what its name means, and thus what its purpose is.
>> Can anyone explain?
>>
>> Also, there are points in the code where a URI is deparameterized and
>> then reparameterized. What is the point in this?
>

> Say you have two URIs:
>   http://host/app/page?a=1&b=2
>   http://host/app/page?b=2&a=1
>
> These two URIs identify the same resource. But due to difference in
> parameter ordering these URIs are different. Without converting these
> URIs to "canonical" form, Cocoon CLI will generate this resource
> twice. If you scale this simple example from two resources up to
> thousand(s), and from two parameters to dozen, you'll get to a
> situation where wget will do it's work but Cocoon CLI will never finish.
>
> So, you can think of "suri" as "Standardized URI", or "'canonical' URI".

Ah! Mystery solved. Thanks for that. I will make sure that my changes
respect this.

Upayavira

Re: What is a suri?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Upayavira wrote:

> In the CLI code, there is a variable called suri. I've never been able
> to work out what its name means, and thus what its purpose is. Can
> anyone explain?
>
> Also, there are points in the code where a URI is deparameterized and
> then reparameterized. What is the point in this?

Say you have two URIs:
   http://host/app/page?a=1&b=2
   http://host/app/page?b=2&a=1

These two URIs identify the same resource. But due to difference in
parameter ordering these URIs are different. Without converting these
URIs to "canonical" form, Cocoon CLI will generate this resource twice.
If you scale this simple example from two resources up to thousand(s),
and from two parameters to dozen, you'll get to a situation where wget
will do it's work but Cocoon CLI will never finish.

So, you can think of "suri" as "Standardized URI", or "'canonical' URI".

Vadim