Posted to dev@deltacloud.apache.org by Arvind Creatrix IT Soft <ar...@creatrixitsoft.com> on 2013/04/01 23:49:58 UTC

Beginner at deltacloud/ruby- how to configure + Deploy DeltaCloud API to work under a domain

Hello all,

I wish to deploy Delta Cloud and use it via its API.

I want to use its API via a specific domain, in a server where I am using a hosting control panel to deploy multiple domains/websites.

Can anyone let me know how to configure and deploy DEltacloud so that it works under one such domain? For any of the popular control panels- like CPanel/Plesk/Webmin?
So that some domains have their existing websites/php apps while one new domain is used to access Deltacloud API?

Another query- in the above scenario, how do I deploy updates to DeltaCloud?

Yours sincerely,
Arvind.

Re: Beginner at deltacloud/ruby- how to configure + Deploy DeltaCloud API to work under a domain

Posted by jvlcek <jv...@redhat.com>.
On 04/01/2013 09:01 PM, Arvind Creatrix IT Soft wrote:
> [...]
>> Arvind,
>> Creatrix IT Soft.
>> -----Original Message----- From: Arvind Creatrix IT Soft
>> Sent: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:41 AM
>> To: dev@deltacloud.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: Beginner at deltacloud/ruby- how to configure + Deploy
>> DeltaCloud API to work under a domain
>>
>> Hello again
>>
>> OK, the cloud credentials are needed- but how do I prevent abuse of the
>> server running Delta Cloud itself? (for eg meaningless calls to the
>> deltacloud server which have random values for cloud credentials-- these
>> will still cause the server to do some processing, right-- how do I
>> prevent
>> this? Or do you mean that whenever a client library invokes delta
>> cloud-->
>> it has to furnish an SSL certificate? So that only authorised
>> requests are
>> actually processed by the Delta Cloud Server?
>>
>> I found out about Delta Cloud as I was looking for a cross cloud
>> provisioning library-- and Delta Cloud fits the bill because it can be
>> accessed from multiple languages.
>>
>> Yours sincerely,
>> Arvind,
>> Creatrix IT Soft.
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Francesco Vollero
>> Sent: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:32 AM
>> To: dev@deltacloud.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: Beginner at deltacloud/ruby- how to configure + Deploy
>> DeltaCloud API to work under a domain
>>
>> Il 4/2/13 1:57 AM, Arvind Creatrix IT Soft ha scritto:
>>> Hello again Francesco,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the prompt reply-- so DeltaCloud is not a regular
>>> 'web-app' which is accessed by going to a specific domain name?
>> Well, it's a ruby Rest API so, you can bind to a specific domain, also
>> you can put behind apache mod_proxy or nginx as you wish.
>>> In that case, does it have any authentication/security built in? So
>>> that no one can abuse the server running Delta Cloud?
>>>
>> Yes. To keep things secure, deltacloud support ssl encryption and for
>> the credentials, you don't have to worry because without the credentials
>> for your cloud providers nobody can abuse of your cloud machines.
>>
>> Anyway, I would like to ask you a question, where you heard of us?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -FV
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Arvind.
>>>

>>> Yours sincerely,
>>> Arvind,
>>> Creatrix IT Soft.
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Francesco Vollero
>>> Sent: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:54 AM
>>> To: dev@deltacloud.apache.org
>>> Subject: Re: Beginner at deltacloud/ruby- how to configure + Deploy
>>> DeltaCloud API to work under a domain

>>> Well, Deltacloud is an API Rest server. You can configure it to be
>>> listening on any ip address that you think is the most suitable for
>>> you.
>>> At the end the Rest API is given over HTTP/HTTPS so you have to treat

Hello Arvind,

I'm glad you are interested in contributing to Deltacloud.
You can find documentation on how to contribute on
our web site under:
http://deltacloud.apache.org/how-to-contribute.html

We are currently discussing changing the instructions
for sending a patch but until that is finalized you can
find instructions here:
http://deltacloud.apache.org/send-patch.html

Joe V.

Re: Beginner at deltacloud/ruby- how to configure + Deploy DeltaCloud API to work under a domain

Posted by Francesco Vollero <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francesco Vollero <ra...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

Re: Beginner at deltacloud/ruby- how to configure + Deploy DeltaCloud API to work under a domain

Il 4/2/13 1:19 AM, Arvind Creatrix IT Soft ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for your reply
>
> Please clarify the following for me--
> I thought Delta Cloud provides an API? How will I access the API if I cant
> access that API over a specific domain(in which delta cloud is deployed)?

Well, Deltacloud is an API Rest server. You can configure it to be
listening on any ip address that you think is the most suitable for you.
At the end the Rest API is given over HTTP/HTTPS so you have to treat
him as a web server.
> Or, do I have to deploy DeltaCloud as you have said, and then use the
> client library in the same machine (on which delta cloud is installed)--
> in which ever application I want to use Delta Cloud in? Please clarify the

Cheers,
-FV

Posted by Francesco Vollero <ra...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> You would need a shell to the machine to install this ruby application.
> Well, you should not worry about it, because deltacloud run iteself on
> 127.0.0.1 that mean localhost, so is not accessible from the outside and
> moreover we don't store any credentials so you should be safe for that
> as well :)
>> Another query- in the above scenario, how do I deploy updates to
>> DeltaCloud?
> Well, since it's distributed as gem for ruby you can run gem update
> deltacloud if you're not using a pre packaged version (Fedora or RHEL).
>> Yours sincerely,
>> Arvind.
> Cheers and thanks for contact us,
> -FV

Re: Beginner at deltacloud/ruby- how to configure + Deploy DeltaCloud API to work under a domain

Il 4/1/13 11:49 PM, Arvind Creatrix IT Soft ha scritto:
Howdy!

Posted by Francesco Vollero <ra...@gmail.com>.
Il 4/1/13 11:49 PM, Arvind Creatrix IT Soft ha scritto:
> Hello all,
Howdy!