Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2007/01/19 20:09:57 UTC

JIRA preview and quoting

On Jan 19, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Doron Cohen (JIRA) wrote:

Hey!  How did you manage to get JIRA to use your quoting?  When I
posted using Firefox for the Mac, it ate mine.

Since there's no preview option (which is kind of suprising, in this
"Web 2.0" era), is there a scratch section somewhere that can serve
the same purpose?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: JIRA preview and quoting

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Alternately, you can reply to a message sent by Jira, but direct the
: response to jira@apache.org instead of java-dev, and it should turn into

i tested this out at one point and found it to be extremely unreliable ..
many messages i sent never made it into Jira, and at several points in the
recent past i've noticed a flurry of emails from jira about updates to
bugs that are acctually really old (sometimes months old) -- aparently
they are from people replying to Jira emails and hitting reply to all
(instead of just reply-to) and they get stuck in some Jira mail queue for
an indefinite amount of time.

-Hoss

Re: JIRA preview and quoting

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Jan 19, 2007, at 2:18 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Lines starting with '> ' in comments are displayed as quotes.

Y'know, I bet I just muffed the cut-and-paste, then.  I had composed
the message in mail.app, and I've just now verified that the quote
characters do not survive the transfer from there into the Firefox
HTML form. I must have forgotten to scan the pasted text.  Apologies
for the noise.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: JIRA preview and quoting

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> Hey!  How did you manage to get JIRA to use your quoting?  When I posted
> using Firefox for the Mac, it ate mine.

Lines starting with '> ' in comments are displayed as quotes.
Alternately, you can reply to a message sent by Jira, but direct the
response to jira@apache.org instead of java-dev, and it should turn into
a comment.  I use the former method, creating small quotes by hand,
cutting and pasting fragments from previous comments.

Doug

Re: JIRA preview and quoting

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Doron Cohen (JIRA) wrote:
>
>  > >

> Hey!  How did you manage to get JIRA to use your quoting?  When I posted
> using Firefox for the Mac, it ate mine.
>
> Since there's no preview option (which is kind of suprising, in this
> "Web 2.0" era), is there a scratch section somewhere that can serve the
> same purpose?

I don't know how to have JIRA quote (maybe it is possible?).  I
typically copy/paste, edit separately, then paste it back & submit
(Firefox on Mac as well!).

Mike

Re: JIRA preview and quoting

Posted by Doron Cohen <DO...@il.ibm.com>.
I cheated...

Actually, after losing several long comments when clicking "Add",
with some strange 'rights' error, I trust Jira's input area only
for very short comments.

As soon as a comment gets longer I use my mail client's reply-to,
and only when done writing, copy/paste to Jira's text area. So
that's how the quoting comes in...