Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marko Gnjidic <ma...@mac.com> on 2009/05/17 10:59:39 UTC

bug in binary distribution (RUNNING.txt)

I have a small problem in regards to the Tomcat 6 documentation. I've
been setting up a Tomcat multiple instance configuration, to have one
binary installation, multiple configuration and each configuration
running in the separate process. Now I managed to set it up and
configure it to my needs, but in the process I noticed a small error
in RUNNING.txt file that accompanies the binary distrbution.
In the section of the file called "Advanced Configuration - Multiple
Tomcat Instances" there are some directions on which configuration
files/directories to copy over into the new instance, and one of the
lines reads:
line 109:
-----------
* bin  - Only setenv.sh (*nix) and setenv.bat (windows)
-----------

So it tells us that the "bin" folder must be created with only
"setenv.sh" file copied over. The problem is that there is NO
setenv.sh file in the distribution itself, so there is nothing to be
copied over. Then I tried to run the thing without any files copied
over in the "bin" folder, and it complained that the file
"setclasspath.sh" is missing.

So after I copied the other file over everything worked.

I got my problem solved but like a good samaritan I wanted to report
it, registered for the apache bugzilla account and reported that there
is an error in RUNNING.txt file and that setenv.sh should be replaced
with setclasspath.sh, but i got the response that everything is fine
and there is no error in the documentation, and that I should contact
the user group if I need help.

So not to start an argument with that guy my question is: where is
setenv.sh file located and why is Tomcat complaining about
setclasspath.sh if it is not needed in the new instance configuration
folder?

Marko

Re: bug in binary distribution (RUNNING.txt)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Marko Gnjidic wrote:

> In the section of the file called "Advanced Configuration - Multiple
> Tomcat Instances" there are some directions on which configuration
> files/directories to copy over into the new instance, and one of the
> lines reads:

That section doesn't tell you which files to copy, it tells you where
Tomcat looks for files. A subtle but important difference.

> So it tells us that the "bin" folder must be created with only
> "setenv.sh" file copied over.

Nope. It says that Tomcat will look in CATALINA_BASE/bin/ for a
setenv.sh|bat file.

> The problem is that there is NO setenv.sh
> file in the distribution itself, so there is nothing to be copied over.

Correct. It is an optional file that you create it you need it.

> Then I tried to run the thing without any files copied over in the "bin"
> folder, and it complained that the file "setclasspath.sh" is missing.

In which case you probably haven't got your environment variables set
correctly. Tomcat will always look in CATALINA_HOME/bin for
setclasspath.sh|bat

As an aside, I did spot a typo in that section that related to the
default for CATALINA_BASE (a "not" was missing). I fixed that in
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/RUNNING.txt?r1=775632&r2=775631&pathrev=775632

Mark