Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Peter Guarnieri <pe...@appian.com> on 2007/08/01 20:50:28 UTC

host name question

All,

I have sort of a complex question about how James resolves host names.
I'm using Apache James as an SMTP server to send mails for a web app.
This web-app is being hosted on Amazon's EC2 platform, the practical
result of which in terms of this email is that it has a bunch of
different domain names, private and public, and I can't figure out why
James is choosing to use the one that it's using. In the header of an
email sent by my instance of Apache James, the "Received" header looks
like this:

(widgets.myserver.com [127.0.0.1])

            by domU-##-##-##-##-##-##.z-1.compute-1.internal
(8.13.7/8.13.7) with ESMTP id l71HwdGZ010791

            for <pe...@appian.com>; Wed, 1 Aug 2007 13:58:39
-0400

where widgets.myserver.com is the publicly accessible domain name
mapping to the ip of my server, and
domU-##-##-##-##-##-##.z-1.compute-1.internal is the internal host name
in the EC2 cloud. Some of the emails I've sent out are getting caught in
spam filters, and I suspect it might be because those two host names
don't remotely match up.  I tried playing around with some settings in
config.xml, setting them to this:

     <servernames autodetect="false" autodetectIP="true">

<!-- CONFIRM? -->

         <servername>widgets.myserver.com</servername>

      </servernames>

But that didn't really do anything. Can anyone give me some insight as
to how that header gets filled out by James, how I might control it, or
anything else I'm missing here?

Thanks,

Pete

---------------------------------------

Peter Guarnieri

Appian Corporation

www.appian.com

Email: peter.guarnieri@appian.com

Re: host name question

Posted by Tim <ja...@reddreamer.com>.
Peter Guarnieri wrote:
> All,
>
> I have sort of a complex question about how James resolves host names...

I'm by no means an expert.  But my impression is that the "Received"
header is something that would have been added by the server that
received the email from James, not by James itself.  So my first guess
is that it might have to do with the HELO name being sent by James... in
my installation in the RemoteDelivery maillet there's a
<mail.smtp.localhost> tag that the comments indicate is where to set the
HELO name.

I think I ended up having to set that for myself and also make sure that
it was coordinated with the DNS MX entries for my domain.

Tim