Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by David Araujo <da...@saphety.net> on 2006/02/09 14:17:37 UTC

Crashing James under heavy load :(

Hello,

under heavy load (lot's of smtp connections) my james server is crashing
with the folling error:

08/02/06 23:59:59 ERROR smtpserver: Exception opening socket: Error
accessing database
org.apache.avalon.framework.CascadingRuntimeException: Error accessing
database
        at
org.apache.james.userrepository.AbstractJdbcUsersRepository.getUserByName(AbstractJdbcUsersRepository.java:533)
at
org.apache.james.userrepository.AbstractUsersRepository.test(AbstractUsersRepository.java:284)
        at
org.apache.james.smtpserver.SMTPHandler.doLoginAuth(SMTPHandler.java:863)
        at
org.apache.james.smtpserver.SMTPHandler.doAUTH(SMTPHandler.java:720)
        at
org.apache.james.smtpserver.SMTPHandler.parseCommand(SMTPHandler.java:579)
        at
org.apache.james.smtpserver.SMTPHandler.handleConnection(SMTPHandler.java:358)
        at
org.apache.james.util.connection.ServerConnection$ClientConnectionRunner.run(ServerConnection.java:417)
        at
org.apache.james.util.thread.ExecutableRunnable.execute(ExecutableRunnable.java:55)
        at
org.apache.james.util.thread.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:90)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Streaming result set
com.mysql.jdbc.RowDataDynamic@1d33e03 is still active. Only one
streaming result set may be open and in use per-connection. Ensure that
you have called .close() on  any active result sets before attempting
more queries.
        at
com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkForOutstandingStreamingData(MysqlIO.java:2053)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:1203)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Connection.java:2090)
        at
com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeQuery(PreparedStatement.java:1496)
        at
org.apache.james.userrepository.AbstractJdbcUsersRepository.getUserByName(AbstractJdbcUsersRepository.java:516)
... 8 more

I'm using a mysql database with the driver
mysql-connector-java-3.0.11-stable-bin.jar in the james lib.

Anyone know how to resolve this problem? I'm affraid to put james with
this erros in a production environment.

Thanks a lot,
David

--
David Araújo                    david.araujo@saphety.net
Saphety                         Tel: +351 21 0104169

Re: Crashing James under heavy load :(

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
David Araujo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> under heavy load (lot's of smtp connections) my james server is crashing
> with the folling error:
> [...]
> Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Streaming result set
> com.mysql.jdbc.RowDataDynamic@1d33e03 is still active. Only one
> streaming result set may be open and in use per-connection. Ensure that
> you have called .close() on  any active result sets before attempting
> more queries.
>
> I'm using a mysql database with the driver
> mysql-connector-java-3.0.11-stable-bin.jar in the james lib.
>
> Anyone know how to resolve this problem? I'm affraid to put james with
> this erros in a production environment.

Have you added any custom mailet to your configuration?
What did you change from the original configuration? Is it James 2.2.0
or what?

It is the first time I see that exception on this list, so it may be
something related to your own configuration/environment.

Stefano