Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Craig McElroy <cr...@metissian.com> on 2004/10/22 17:59:41 UTC

Opening Files in Web Folders

Greetings,

I am working with a subversion repository mounted via Web Folders on
Windows 2000.  I am finding it rather annoying than any file that I
open, it attempts to open in Internet Explorer.  Is there any way to
avoid this behavior and have the files open in their appropriate
application?  (.pdf files in Acrobat Reader, .txt files in TextPad,
etc.)

Cheers,
-craig

Craig McElroy
Metissian LLC

p.s.  Editorial note: Life is so much nicer on a Mac  :-)

Re: Opening Files in Web Folders

Posted by Steve Willer <st...@gmail.com>.
I haven't tried webdav with svn yet, but I have used it a lot with Sharepoint.

Explorer is pretty limited and simplistic when it's viewing a web
drive. I had good luck using a (commercial, but cheap) product called
WebDrive. It mounts it as a regular-looking drive, which makes
Explorer give you all the same right-click and double-click behavior
as any other network drive.

http://www.webdrive.com/index.php?pg=./products/webdrive/index

Posted by Craig McElroy <cr...@metissian.com>.
On Nov 3, 2004, at 1:01 PM, Steve Willer wrote:

> Have you tried using WebDrive? It's worth a look, if nothing else ...
> I've had good luck with it, myself. It should effectively
> short-circuit the properties thing and just look at the file
> extension.

Yes, I have tried it, and if I were the one dealing with this, I would
probably consider it.  However, this is being setup for a customer and
he has expressed that dealing licenses for a commercial product is not
an option.

Cheers,
-craig

Posted by Steve Willer <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Nov 3, 2004, at 10:29 AM, Craig McElroy wrote:

> Thank you for your response.  Now that I am finally back to working
> with this issue, I have a follow up question.  If the files are added
> via Web Folders, is there a way to have the mime type set?  From what
> I've read, properties cannot be set via post-commit hooks.  Am I
> right?

I don't know of any way that Windows webfolders can be used to set
'properties' on files, despite the fact that 'properties' are a core
WebDAV concept.

Re: Opening Files in Web Folders

Posted by Craig McElroy <cr...@metissian.com>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.