Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/26 15:55:17 UTC

Remove the integration/jca examples from trunk/CXF 2.4.x branches?

Team, with the exception of removing the JBI functionality, the CXF
integration/JCA examples[1] have not been touched in 3 yrs. 10 months--and
then just to add WebLogic[2], 4 yrs. 10 months in everything else[3].
Should we nuke them from TRUNK and CXF 2.4.x branches?  They seem to be
obsolete (instructions for loading on JBoss 4, Weblogic still on "bea"
namespace) and unmavenized to boot.

As Dan reminded us earlier for the MTOSI example, they're still available in
every CXF production distribution as of this date, so they can always be
viewed by somebody interested in looking at them by downloading an older CXF
version and restorable to the branches if and when somebody wishes to update
them.  If someone is planning on updating these examples, I guess we can
keep them but if nobody's interested in doing so I think it's best to remove
them.

Regards,
Glen

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cxf/trunk/distribution/src/main/release/samples/integration/jca/

[2]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cxf/trunk/distribution/src/main/release/samples/integration/jca/inbound/README.txt?revision=596547&view=markup

[3]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cxf/trunk/distribution/src/main/release/samples/integration/jca/inbound/etc/ejb-jar.xml?view=log

Re: Remove the integration/jca examples from trunk/CXF 2.4.x branches?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
I agree....

If the user has to install some ancient version of JBoss or Weblogic to run
the example, it's really not of any use to users.   Either nuke it or update
it.

I know there are still users for the JCA components so they likely need to
remain.  However, the example is pointless at this point.

Dan

On Monday, September 26, 2011 6:55:17 AM Glen Mazza wrote:
> Team, with the exception of removing the JBI functionality, the CXF
> integration/JCA examples[1] have not been touched in 3 yrs. 10 months--and
> then just to add WebLogic[2], 4 yrs. 10 months in everything else[3].
> Should we nuke them from TRUNK and CXF 2.4.x branches?  They seem to be
> obsolete (instructions for loading on JBoss 4, Weblogic still on "bea"
> namespace) and unmavenized to boot.
>
> As Dan reminded us earlier for the MTOSI example, they're still available in
> every CXF production distribution as of this date, so they can always be
> viewed by somebody interested in looking at them by downloading an older
> CXF version and restorable to the branches if and when somebody wishes to
> update them.  If someone is planning on updating these examples, I guess we
> can keep them but if nobody's interested in doing so I think it's best to
> remove them.
>
> Regards,
> Glen
>
> [1]
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cxf/trunk/distribution/src/main/release/samples
> /integration/jca/
>
> [2]
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cxf/trunk/distribution/src/main/release/samples
> /integration/jca/inbound/README.txt?revision=596547&view=markup
>
> [3]
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cxf/trunk/distribution/src/main/release/samples
> /integration/jca/inbound/etc/ejb-jar.xml?view=log

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog
Talend - http://www.talend.com