Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Manoj Samel <ma...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/12 02:33:48 UTC

Spark Server - How to implement

Hi,

If spark based services are to be exposed as a continuously available
server, what are the options?

* The API exposed to client will be proprietary and fine grained (RPC style
..), not a Job level API
* The client API need not be SQL so the Thrift JDBC server does not seem to
be option .. but I could be wrong here ...
* Ooyala implementation is a REST API for job submission, but as mentioned
above; the desired API is a finer grain API, not a job submission

Any existing implementation?

Is it build your own server? Any thoughts on approach to use ?

Thanks,

Re: Spark Server - How to implement

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
Hey Manoj,

One proposal potentially of interest is the Spark Kernel project from
IBM - you should look for their. The interface in that project is more
of a "remote REPL" interface, i.e. you submit commands (as strings)
and get back results (as strings), but you don't have direct
programmatic access to state like in the JobServer. Not sure if this
is what you need.

This type of higher level "execution context" is something we've
generally defined to be outside of scope for the core Spark
distribution because they can be cleanly built on the stable API, and
from what I've seen of different applications that build on Spark, the
requirements are fairly different for different applications. I'm
guessing that in the next year we'll see a handful of community
projects pop up around providing various types of execution services
for spark apps.

- Patrick

Posted by Manoj Samel <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Marcelo.