Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by ogg <ol...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/02 13:31:33 UTC

JCROM and Jackrabbit OCM

Hello people!
I'm finding that I have less and less time to maintain my open source JCR
object mapping solution, JCROM (http://jcrom.org).

Therefore I'm wondering whether there is any interest from you Jackrabbit
people to take over the code base and possibly integrate it into your
Jackrabbit OCM?

Cheers,
OGG

Re: JCROM and Jackrabbit OCM

Posted by Bouiaw <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

I have used a lot both JCR OCM solution in my Igenko project. It was
initally based on Jackrabbit OCM, et switch to JCROM.

With respect to Christophe Lombart work, JCROM is a far far far more
simpler, powerful, well design solution for JCR mapping. It outperform
Jackrabbit OCM in all domains, so switching to integrate JCROM codebase as
the new Jackrabbit OCM solution would be a key point for Jackrabbit 2.0
success.

Regards,
Bouiaw

Re: JCROM and Jackrabbit OCM

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.
Hi.

I also has used Jcrom for a while. Not any fancy stuff, but plain basic
mapping. It has problems, but I like the simplicity of the framework. Could
even be simpler than it is right now. Have done some minor modifications
that suites the project I used it on. I would really like to see this
project be a part of Jackrabbit. Would also contribute some effort into
fixing bugs and/or features.

Regards,
Sten Roger Sandvik

Re: JCROM and Jackrabbit OCM

Posted by papke <pa...@dig.de>.
Hi everybody,

Re: JCROM and Jackrabbit OCM

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.
Hi.

I for one have not used OCM. It seems to complicated and I feel that I loose
control. No offence intendend :-) As for JCROM, I really like it. Have used
it for some time, but have had doubt since it has not been very well
maintained. It is simple and lightweight - just as I like it. Will be happy
to contribute to further development of JCROM or a mix between the two.

Regards,
Sten Roger Sandvik

Re: JCROM and Jackrabbit OCM

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: JCROM and Jackrabbit OCM

Posted by Decebal Suiu <de...@gmail.com>.
Jcrom is definitely good: simple, powerful with a good documentation.

Thanks,
Decebal

Re: JCROM and Jackrabbit OCM

Posted by ogg <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi people,
Sorry for the late reply, have been in Africa far from internet connection
the last few weeks...

Thanks for the kind words on JCROM. I am very interested in bringing JCROM
to Jackrabbit, to bring a better structure to the project, and hopefully get
more people involved in moving it forward.

I'm going through the current reported issues, after which I will prepare a
new release.

Please let me know how I can help in the process of moving JCROM to Apache.

Regards,
Olafur Gauti Gudmundsson

Re: JCROM and Jackrabbit OCM

Posted by rokham <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I'd like to echo the groups' voice. We've been using Jcrom for an open
source project (called RoOLO: http://code.google.com/p/roolo/) we're
building at the University of Toronto together with several universities in
Europe as well as University of Berkeley. We started using Jackrabbit/Jcrom
about a year ago and as everyone said, it's a very light weight platform but
has some kinks which will need to be ironed out.

I was evaluating OCM vs. Jcrom and chose Jcrom since it seemed more robust
back then with better documentation.

So I'd say it would be great if Jcrom was brought into Jackrabbit since I
know at least 20 or so developers who are building on top of it :)

If this integration is approved and we are seeking contributors, I might be
able to mention it to our group and see if anyone is able to contribute some
time.

Thanks a lot.

Re: JCROM and Jackrabbit OCM

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: JCROM and Jackrabbit OCM

Posted by Jason Thrasher <ja...@coachthrasher.com>.
Hi Folks,
What's the status of JCROM -> Jackrabbit idea, and OCM in Jackrabbit in
general?  It's not clear from reading the website, or the lists.

I can see from the September 2009 status webpage that this JCROM integration
may seriously move forward:
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-status-september-2009.html
... which is cool, but:

We're using Jackrabbit v1.5, and heavily using the OCM components therein.
Those components appear to have been removed from later releases.  Is this
to make way for JCROM?

Since they've been removed, we won't be updating without substantial changes
to our content object model's classes and DAO infrastructure.  Before
starting to use Jackrabbit OCM, I had evaluated JCROM's use, or rolling my
own.  However, I had decided not to use JCROM because it would have added
dependencies, and complication, and spillover that I wanted to avoid.
Another dependency on a 3rd party with duplicated functionality is generally
something to be avoided.  It seemed that Jackrabbit's OCM would be
sufficient.  I did like JCROM's simplicity though.  It's very clean.
Meanwhile the trial and error experience using Jackrabbit's lightly
documented, and mostly docuemented in code, OCM was painful, but works
solidly at the end of the day.

Insights into the roadmap for both OCM's would be very helpful.

thanks,
Jason

Re: JCROM and Jackrabbit OCM

Posted by ogg <ol...@gmail.com>.