Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by beaviebugeater <mb...@jdnholdings.com> on 2009/10/29 18:51:46 UTC

Facets - ORing attribute values

I have implemented faceting with Solr for an ecommerce project.

However, I'd like to change the default behavior somewhat.  Visualize with
me the left nav that contains:

Attribute A
value1 (count)
value2 (count)
value3 (count)

Attribute B
value4 (count)
value5 (count)

The user interface has a checkbox for each attribute value.  As a checkbox
is checked, the list of products is refined to include those with the
selected attribute(s).

The default behavior is to AND all selected attributes.

What I would like is if I check value1, none of the counts for Attribute A
change, just the product result set.  If I then check value3 the effect is
that I'm saying products with values for Attribute A of value1 OR value3
(not AND).  Counts for Attribute B do change as usual.

If I then check value4, the effect is to return products with values for
Attribute A of (value1 OR value3) AND values for Attribute B of value5.

You can see this sort of thing in action here:

http://www.beanbags.com/bean-bag-chairs/large/1618+1620+4225.cfm#N=1618+1620+4225+4229+4231&Ns=Preferred&view=36&display=grid_view

Is this doable with Solr out of the box or do I need to build some logic
around Solr's faceting functionality?

Thanks.
Matt

Re: Facets - ORing attribute values

Posted by Jay Hill <ja...@gmail.com>.
1.4 has a good chance of being released next week. There was a hope that it
might make it this week, but another bug in Lucene 2.9.1 was found, pushing
things back just a little bit longer.

-Jay
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Posted by beaviebugeater <mb...@jdnholdings.com>.

Posted by beaviebugeater <mb...@jdnholdings.com>.
I'll dive in.  On the surface this looks like exactly what I described.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.