Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matty Ronald <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/02 09:01:29 UTC

[users@httpd] Urgent--what exactly "ssl_io_filter_Upgrade" function do in Apache 2.2.x

Hi,
Please help me on below query:

During migration from Apache 2.0 to Apache 2.2 and compiling the
Apache 2.2.15 source code, we found following difference in the
function "ssl_io_filter_register" in the file "ssl_engine_io.c".

Apache 2.0 Source code:

void ssl_io_filter_register(apr_pool_t *p)
{
    ap_register_input_filter  (ssl_io_filter, ssl_io_filter_input,
NULL, AP_FTYPE_CONNECTION + 5);
    ap_register_output_filter (ssl_io_filter, ssl_io_filter_output,
NULL, AP_FTYPE_CONNECTION + 5);
    ap_register_input_filter  (ssl_io_buffer, ssl_io_filter_buffer,
NULL, AP_FTYPE_PROTOCOL);

    return;
}

Apache 2.2 Source code:

void ssl_io_filter_register(apr_pool_t *p)
{
    /* This filter MUST be after the HTTP_HEADER filter, but it also must be
     * a resource-level filter so it has the request_rec.
     */
    ap_register_output_filter ("UPGRADE_FILTER",
ssl_io_filter_Upgrade, NULL, AP_FTYPE_PROTOCOL + 5);

    ap_register_input_filter  (ssl_io_filter, ssl_io_filter_input,
NULL, AP_FTYPE_CONNECTION + 5);
    ap_register_output_filter (ssl_io_filter, ssl_io_filter_output,
NULL, AP_FTYPE_CONNECTION + 5);
    ap_register_input_filter  (ssl_io_buffer, ssl_io_filter_buffer,
NULL, AP_FTYPE_PROTOCOL);

    return;
}

Could you please let me know the reason for addition of below line and
additional function "ssl_io_filter_Upgrade" in Aapche 2.2.x as against
Apache 2.0.x:

ap_register_output_filter ("UPGRADE_FILTER", ssl_io_filter_Upgrade,
NULL, AP_FTYPE_PROTOCOL + 5);

Also what exactly "ssl_io_filter_Upgrade" function do in Apache 2.2.x,
which is missing in Apache 2.0.x?

Regards,
Matty

Re: [users@httpd] Urgent--what exactly "ssl_io_filter_Upgrade" function do in Apache 2.2.x

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:01 AM, Matty Ronald <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Please help me on below query:
>
> During migration from Apache 2.0 to Apache 2.2 and compiling the
> Apache 2.2.15 source code, we found following difference in the
> function "ssl_io_filter_register" in the file "ssl_engine_io.c".

Why would such a thing be alarming or urgent?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/new_features_2_2.html

mod_ssl
Added a support for RFC 2817, which allows connections to upgrade from
clear text to TLS encryption.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com