Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steve Lustbader <sl...@5amsolutions.com> on 2012/03/02 20:01:58 UTC

Merging a vendor branch that's also in subversion

My subversion-based project is based on a third-party project that is also
stored in subversion, although on a separate server (to which we only have
client access). We will soon need to merge the recent changes from the
third-party project back into our own codebase. I am preparing to do a
merge using the "vendor branch" technique from the svn book, but I was
hoping that since both projects are stored in subversion, there might be a
simpler way - are there any other options?

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Merging a vendor branch that's also in subversion

Posted by Steve Lustbader <sl...@5amsolutions.com>.
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 02:01:58PM -0500, Steve Lustbader wrote:
> > My subversion-based project is based on a third-party project that is
> also
> > stored in subversion, although on a separate server (to which we only
> have
> > client access). We will soon need to merge the recent changes from the
> > third-party project back into our own codebase. I am preparing to do a
> > merge using the "vendor branch" technique from the svn book, but I was
> > hoping that since both projects are stored in subversion, there might be
> > simpler way - are there any other options?
>
> Another option might be a foreign repository merge.
> Quoting from near the bottom of 'svn help merge' output:
>
>    - Merging from foreign repositories -
>
>  Subversion does support merging from foreign repositories.
>  While all merge source URLs must point to the same repository, the merge
>  target working copy may come from a different repository than the source.
>  However, there are some caveats. Most notably, copies made in the
>  merge source will be transformed into plain additions in the merge
>  target. Also, merge-tracking is not supported for merges from foreign
>  repositories.

Thanks, that looks like exactly what I wanted, so I'll give it a shot.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.