Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org> on 2016/10/19 14:32:25 UTC

getting in line for the releases of groovy 2.4.8 and 2.5.0-beta-1

Hi,

I�dd like to collect here a list of things we have to do to get the next
2.4 and the first beta of 2.5.0 out. I do not know of any criticals for
2.4.x, so afaik it is ready for release any time now. For 2.5.0 I see
the following we should integrate the new parser (could be done for
2.4.x as well), but otherwise I think we should go forward here as well.

Any objections?

bye Jochen

Re: getting in line for the releases of groovy 2.4.8 and 2.5.0-beta-1

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.
If we could get a fix for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-7966,
it would help Gradle, because it prevents our caching from working without
a hack (basically sorting files, which has a performance cost).

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Mario, did you try the WIP by Daniel Sun, to provide feedback, see how it
works on your code base?
That's also a way to help and assess how far we are from having the new
parser ready, if you've got a bit of time to try it out.

--
Guillaume Laforge

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114130972232398734985/posts>

Re: getting in line for the releases of groovy 2.4.8 and 2.5.0-beta-1

Posted by daniel_sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Cédric,

      If possible, how about providing the new parser via putting it in a
separate artifact(e.g. groovy-parser-x.x.x.jar). When Groovy developers want
to try the new parser, they can enable the switch(-Dgroovy.antlr4=true).
Before set the new parser as the default parser in the future release, we
can get many feedback and make the new parser better and better :)

      Although there are 3 failing test cases related to macro, Sergei's
PR(https://github.com/apache/groovy/pull/443) can fix them. I wish the PR
could be reviewed and merged as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

Re: getting in line for the releases of groovy 2.4.8 and 2.5.0-beta-1

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.
On 20.10.2016 10:31, C�dric Champeau wrote:
> I would much favor letting the 2.4 branch die (aka, release 2.4.8), then
> make 2.5-beta and final asap, and release regular 3.0 milestones.

I think that is too early to decide right now. Because right now we need
to release 2.4.8 and 2.5.0-beta-1. And I expect at least one last 2.4.9
after a 2.5.0 before we let the 2.4.x branch die

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.