Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Michael Finney <fi...@ACM.org> on 2004/04/11 01:22:38 UTC

fetchpop POP3 adelphia download problems

Hello

I use james-2.1.3.

fetchpop is supposed to suck down emails from the ISP and remove them from
the server. True?  When it is working normally, it seems to bring down the
email messages from the adelphia server and removes them from the adelphia
server.

Problems:
1) Sometimes emails get left on the adelphia server and then I get recurring
duplicates which just keep coming and do not go away until I get on the
adelphia email account via web and remove them all.

2) Sometimes emails do not get sucked down at all. James won't download
them.

3) The fix for both of these seems to be to reinitialize james via an ant
script which rebuilds the jar/sar and so on.
(http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-james2.html listing
10)
The positive side effect from that rebuilding is probably the removal of
old/screwed up files which track which emails have been downloaded or
something. It feels like I am swatting a fly with a 2 x 4 board.

Why does #1 happen above?
Why does #2 happen above?
Is there a better #3?

(Thank you for looking at this)

Here is most of my fetchpop configuration:

    <fetchpop enabled="true">
        <!-- You can have as many fetch tasks as you want, but each must
have a -->
        <!-- unique name by which it identified -->
        <fetch name="mail.abs.adelphia.net">
            <!-- Host name or IP address -->
            <host>mail.abs.adelphia.net</host>
            <!-- Account login username -->
            <user>not really the name</user>
            <!-- Account login password -->
            <password>mmmm  no</password>
            <!-- How frequently this account is checked - in milliseconds.
600000 is every ten minutes -->
<!--            <interval>600000</interval> -->
            <interval>300000</interval>
        </fetch>
    </fetchpop>

By the way, I am not using james as a server...  Only 1 user (me) connects
to James which connects to adelphia and all of it is on the same machine. I
just like storing some of the email information that I get and send.

Thank you,
Michael

Michael Finney
finney@ACM.org
Sun certified as a SCJP, SCJD, and SCWCD.
Cofounder of PPJDG http://www.ppjdg.org

RE: fetchpop POP3 adelphia download problems

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
FetchPOP is deprecated in favor of FetcMail, which is present in the current
test build.

	--- Noel