Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/12/02 12:18:24 UTC

[STATUS] (avalon) $Date: 2002/12/02 11:17:35 $

APACHE AVALON PROJECT STATUS:                          -*-indented-text-*-
Last modified at [$Date: 2002/12/02 11:17:35 $]

Release:
     none ATM; still defining new container plan and how to best keep
     development of current code go ahead without impacting negatively on
     the new work.

Resolved Issues:

     o There is an Avalon repository called avalon-sandbox to contain
       all non-released code. It has its own site to make less confusion
       with released products.

     o Existing committers can start new projects without a
       detour to the Incubator by using the avalon-sandbox, and
       must meet the (TBD) goals of Apache Avalon.
       These new components must be approved by the PMC before
       being accepted in the endorsed repositories, and must meet the
       (TBD) goals of Apache Avalon.

Pending issues:
     o Coming up with a set of bylaws for the project

     o Define the terms for serving as a Chair

     o Definition of a new contract for the Context interface, which
       is the pivot issue of our component protability.

     o Switch to a avalon.apache.org website and @avalon.apache.org
       mailing lists.

     o Use a unified avalon-dev mailing list (and avalon-user remains
separate)
       +1: nicolaken, neeme, leosutic, leosimons, mcconnell, bloritsch,
stefano, giacomo
       +0: crafterm, cziegeler
       -1: hammant, leif, donaldp

     o Voting will follow the "standard Apache voting guidelines"

       [ be nice to refer to an Incubator doc here ]

     o All code donations [to the ASF, destined for Apache Avalon]
       arrive via the Incubator, unless the Incubator states they can
       be placed directly into Avalon.

Project Mission:

What is the project's mission?  Our statement of goals/mission/vision
should arise from the answers to the following and other questions:

       - Should we have a minimum set of requirements before components
         are released?
         +0: nicolaken

       - If yes to above then which things should be part of minimum
         requirements?

         documentation: require basic overview and user docs
         +0: nicolaken

         uptodate website: require website be updated to latest release
                           but may still host previous release docs.
         +0: nicolaken

         unit tests: (okay so this will never get consensus but ...)
         +0: nicolaken

         versioning standard: derived from
             http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html
             http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/versioning.html
         +0: nicolaken

         release process: derived from
           http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases.html

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/development/release-process.html

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-ant/ReleaseInstructions?rev=1.9.2.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
         +0 nicolaken

         deprecation process: (java specific?)

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/development/deprecation.html
         +0: nicolaken

         CVS/Subversion branching:
           http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/development/branches.html
         +0: nicolaken

Assets:

                         avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org
                         avalon-cvs@jakarta.apache.org
                         avalon-phoenix-dev@jakarta.apache.org
                         avalon-apps-dev@jakarta.apache.org

     Web site:           http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/

     Repositories:       jakarta-avalon             (framework)
                         jakarta-avalon-testlet     (deprecated testlet)
                         jakarta-avalon-logkit      (logkit)
                         jakarta-avalon-phoenix     (phoenix)
                         jakarta-avalon-cornerstone (components)
                         jakarta-avalon-apps        (sample phoenix
applications)
                         jakarta-avalon-excalibur   (everything else)
                         avalon-sandbox             (sandbox)
                         jakarta-avalon-site        (the web site)

PMC Members:

     (To be put here from the ratified resolution)

     Note: Nicola Ken Barozzi is the Chair

PMC Members, pending Board approval:

     none yet

     [ this may become obsolete; the Board is discussing a way for the
       Chair to directly alter the PMC membership; until then, however,
       we need PMC members ratified by the board, and this tracks them ]

Active Committers:

       nicolaken

Inactive Committers (three months without commits):

donaldp,charlesb,hammant,bloritsch,ramc,leosimons,neeme,jefft,giacomo,colus,

rana_b,mirceatoma,cziegeler,froehlich,lmccay,leif,mcconnell,leosutic,jrudd,
       morpheus,crafterm,vinayc,proyal,huw,ymikulski,mschier,stefano

Emeritus Committers (six months without commits):

       jon,fede

Invited Committers:

     none yet

Current mission/charter as approved by the board:

     (To be put here from the ratified resolution)

The complete text of the resolution that was passed is:

     (To be put here from the ratified resolution)

#
# Local Variables:
# mode: indented-text
# tab-width: 4
# indent-tabs-mode: nil
# tab-stop-list: (4 6 8 12 16 20 24 28 32 36 40 44 48 52 56 60 64 68 72
76 80)
# End:
#

Re: [STATUS] (avalon) $Date: 2002/12/02 11:17:35 $

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 17:04, Neeme Praks wrote:
> emertius = inactive?

yep. An inactive committer becomes emeritus until the end of his days
(and after).

> I would like to remain on board, as inactive for now.
> But as soon as I find a good way to contribute, I'd like to jump back
> in... ;-)

that's cool. To go from inactive -> active, all that is required is
participation.

The reason we need to keep some better track of this is that it makes
vote counting 'n stuff easier :D

oh, and if you've got lots of time to kill, a good way to contribute atm
is to apply Pete's patches :D

cheers,

- Leo

Re: [STATUS] (avalon) $Date: 2002/12/02 11:17:35 $

Posted by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>.
emertius = inactive?
I would like to remain on board, as inactive for now.
But as soon as I find a good way to contribute, I'd like to jump back
in... ;-)

Neeme

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
This status still needs the following:

  - every active committer please move its id to the active committer
section, and let me know about emeritus ones other than jon and fede.

  - who has the board resolution please fill in the bottom sections.

  - who votes is encouraged to commit the vote to the STATUS.txt file.

  - we still need a charter and guidelines. After much rewriting I
haven't included any, because others have more idea of what we can start
from. Please commit your proposals.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [STATUS] (avalon) $Date: 2002/12/02 11:17:35 $

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> you might want to look (and modify, merge, delete, whatever) at the
> status file in avalon-sandbox I whipped up earlier.

Ok. That will be the status file of the sandbox, I'll "modify, merge,
delete, whatever" it as necessary.

> On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 12:18, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Release:
>>     none ATM; still defining new container plan and how to best keep
>>     development of current code go ahead without impacting negatively on
>>     the new work.
>

> err....what about the stuff in the release/ dir of avalon? We've got a
> few releases behind us ;)

It's about the next releases.

>>Resolved Issues:
>>
>>     o There is an Avalon repository called avalon-sandbox to contain
>>       all non-released code. It has its own site to make less confusion
>>       with released products.
>

> err..........my proposal had some different wording....important part is
> "all" in "all non-released code" where the argument is it is too much
> work to move everything.

It's about future code. How to manage current code is not really
specified, and I thought it would be too hard to do it before we get a
more concrete new-container plan.

Feel free to change the wording as you retain it better expresses the
situation.

>>     o Existing committers can start new projects without a
>>       detour to the Incubator by using the avalon-sandbox, and
>>       must meet the (TBD) goals of Apache Avalon.
>>       These new components must be approved by the PMC before
>>       being accepted in the endorsed repositories, and must meet the
>>       (TBD) goals of Apache Avalon.
>

> err....can't remember seeing this mentioned or even resolved. Agree with
> it though.

Moving it to pending then.

>>     o Definition of a new contract for the Context interface, which
>>       is the pivot issue of our component protability.
>

> there's a few more (should the container provide pooling, should we make
> ROLE part of the formal specs, should we move to a non-compatible Avalon
> Framework 5 or never do that, how much of the metadata stuff can go
> framework-level.......)

These are not really being actively discussed IIRC.
As soon as these items will pop up on the list, I'll add them.

> <snipsnipsnip/>
>
>>Active Committers:
>>
>>       nicolaken
>

> I'm active:
>
> 	nicolaken,leosutic,leosimons

Ok, I'll commit it for you.
For those that are missing, please do it yourself.

> Just cursory glancing at recent cvs messages I think we can save some
> people some trouble....by head (ie without looking):
>
> 	bloritsch,colus,cziegeler,hammant,jefft,leif,leosimons,leosutic,
> 	mirceatoma,mcconnell,nicolaken,proyal,vinayc

done.

> I think you should change "donaldp" to suspended because he's all but
> inactive.

I'm still checking up what the effective status should be.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> Active Committers:
>
>        nicolaken
>

> Inactive Committers (three months without commits):
>

> donaldp,

I think you need to check this.

/LS

RE: [STATUS] (avalon) $Date: 2002/12/02 11:17:35 $

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> Active Committers:
>
>        nicolaken, leosutic