Posted to common-commits@hadoop.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/10/04 20:29:31 UTC

[Hadoop Wiki] Update of "GangliaMetrics" by BrianBockelman

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Hadoop Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by BrianBockelman:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/GangliaMetrics

- Create a file called hadoop-metrics.properties, and stick it in your hadoop config directory.
+ Edit the file hadoop-metrics.properties, if it is not already present in your config directory.

- The file should look like this:
+ The file should contain at least the following lines:

  {{{
  dfs.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext
  dfs.period=10
- dfs.servers=@GMETAD@:8650
+ dfs.servers=@GANGLIA@:8649

  mapred.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext
  mapred.period=10
- mapred.servers=@GMETAD@:8650
+ mapred.servers=@GANGLIA@:8649
+
+ jvm.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext
+ jvm.period=10
+ jvm.servers=@GANGLIA@:8649
  }}}

- I made hadoop talk directly to gmetad.  I found that if I have hadoop talk to gmond at localhost, then hadoop metrics get reported from 127.0.0.1, rather than from the more useful host name used to communicate with gmetad.
+ Replace @GANGLIA@ with the hostname or IP of the ganglia endpoint.  Depending on your Ganglia configuration, the host or IP you use might be:
+   * The value in the udp_send_channel you use in your /etc/gmond.conf (look for the line which says mcast_join=<IP ADDRESS>).
+   * The gmetad server
+   * Localhost

+ Be aware that versions 0.18.1 and prior need to be patched in order to get Ganglia working; refer to [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3422 JIRA issue 3422].
+