Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Lucas Nealan <lu...@facebook.com> on 2007/12/22 13:11:56 UTC

[contrib] hook-scripts/syntax-check

Hello,

I'd like to contribute a syntax check script for submission to
contrib/hook-scripts. This is a bash 3.x script that was originally written
as a PHP lint syntax check to execute in a pre-commit hook and fail a commit
that contains files of a matching pattern that do not pass a lint style
check. It's been refined over the last few months and has been running with
good results in our development environment. I've generalized the script as
much as possible and it should work with any languange that provides a lint
like tool.

Lucas Nealan

Re: [contrib] hook-scripts/syntax-check

Posted by Lucas Nealan <lu...@facebook.com>.
> Lucas, if you reattach, please do it as MIME type "text/plain" this
> time.  Last time it was "application/octet-stream", which meant some
> mailreaders (at least mine) won't display it inline, which makes it
> harder to review.  If it's text, the MIME type should say so.
>
> That's a very minor problem, of course; but very often these minor
> things make the difference between someone taking a look versus moving
> on to the next email :-).

Thanks for checking out the hook script. I've tried for 20 minutes to get my
mail client to attach text/plain but it apparently can't be done with
certain clients and I'd rather not subcribe from somewhere else to send this
message. Instead I've made it available here:

http://sizzo.org/~screen/patches/syntax-check

I've fixed one bug, so there is a minor one line change since I originally
submitted. Please let me know if you have any problem viewing or saving the
script.

-lucas

Re: [contrib] hook-scripts/syntax-check

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Ben Collins-Sussman" <su...@red-bean.com> writes:
> This looks like a nice addition to contrib/hook-scripts.  Lucas, would
> you mind reattaching it as a normal file, rather than an 'svn diff'
> output?  I'm too lazy to go remove all the leading '+' signs.  :-)

Lucas, if you reattach, please do it as MIME type "text/plain" this
time.  Last time it was "application/octet-stream", which meant some
mailreaders (at least mine) won't display it inline, which makes it
harder to review.  If it's text, the MIME type should say so.

That's a very minor problem, of course; but very often these minor
things make the difference between someone taking a look versus moving
on to the next email :-).

> Does anyone have any objections to my committing this utility?

No objection.

-Karl

Re: [contrib] hook-scripts/syntax-check

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.