Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/22 06:01:41 UTC

What should we do about sandbox ? RE: License and copyright issues

Martin Cooper wrote:

> I found a few things not yet mentioned:
>
> 1) In codec\Metaphone.java, "Copyright 1997, William B. Brogden", which is
> clearly a problem.
>
> 2) In scaffold, numerous instances of "Copyright (c) 2002 Synthis
> Corporation.", also clearly a problem.

Acording to jakarta-commons rules, the sandbox is just a CVS repository
where experiments may happen.

I see it similar with commiters using their homes or public_html
pages on jakarta - or with the commiters cvs repository.

The sandbox is open to any jakarta commiter.

The question is: do we have to police it and monitor all forms
of activities that happen on apache servers ? Because as far as
I can see, there is no difference between a file placed by a
jakarta commiters on his public_html or home and the files
in commons-sandbox.

We made it very clear that sandbox code can't be released,
and the fact that it is accessible using public cvs and
viewcvs is similar with the public_html files.

I would propose to ask the sandbox to be removed from viewcvs
and the eventually discuss what to do about the public cvs.
As a way to protect ourself. I wouldn't mind if this is voted
down :-)

What do you think about this issue ? Any other proposed solutions ?

--
Costin

Re: What should we do about sandbox ? RE: License and copyright issues

Posted by Richard Sitze <rs...@us.ibm.com>.
I like playing in the sandbox, I just don't like to be unpleasantly
surprised on what I find buried within.  I can see both sides, but it does
appear to be IMPERATIVE that the catbox... err  sandbox be kept clean for
visitors.

We simply cannot become, or even appear to become, a public repository for
copyrighted code.

Richard A. Sitze

Costin Manolache wrote:
> Martin Cooper wrote:
>

>>I found a few things not yet mentioned:
>>
>>1) In codec\Metaphone.java, "Copyright 1997, William B. Brogden", which
is
>>clearly a problem.
>>
>>2) In scaffold, numerous instances of "Copyright (c) 2002 Synthis
>>Corporation.", also clearly a problem.
>

> Acording to jakarta-commons rules, the sandbox is just a CVS repository
> where experiments may happen.
>
> I see it similar with commiters using their homes or public_html
> pages on jakarta - or with the commiters cvs repository.
>
> The sandbox is open to any jakarta commiter.
>
> The question is: do we have to police it and monitor all forms
> of activities that happen on apache servers ? Because as far as
> I can see, there is no difference between a file placed by a
> jakarta commiters on his public_html or home and the files
> in commons-sandbox.
>
> We made it very clear that sandbox code can't be released,
> and the fact that it is accessible using public cvs and
> viewcvs is similar with the public_html files.

These were my thoughts exactly, and partly why I only noticed the
potential issue (probably non-issue) with jxpath, and not those in codec
and scaffold.  I was only looking in jakarta-commons, not
jakarta-commons-sandbox.

> I would propose to ask the sandbox to be removed from viewcvs
> and the eventually discuss what to do about the public cvs.
> As a way to protect ourself. I wouldn't mind if this is voted
> down :-)

Certainly a possibility, but that kinda kills the ability to create a
community which is the whole point to the sandbox.

> What do you think about this issue ? Any other proposed solutions ?

Shouldn't we bring this question up with the jakarta PMC?  Since this is
really a legal question, I would think the board, via the PMC, should
have the say on how this should be handled.

michael

For additional commands, e-mail: <
mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: What should we do about sandbox ? RE: License and copyright issues

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Costin Manolache wrote:

> Martin Cooper wrote:
>
> The question is: do we have to police it and monitor all forms
> of activities that happen on apache servers ? Because as far as
> I can see, there is no difference between a file placed by a
> jakarta commiters on his public_html or home and the files
> in commons-sandbox.
>
> We made it very clear that sandbox code can't be released,
> and the fact that it is accessible using public cvs and
> viewcvs is similar with the public_html files.
>

> I would propose to ask the sandbox to be removed from viewcvs
> and the eventually discuss what to do about the public cvs.
> As a way to protect ourself. I wouldn't mind if this is voted
> down :-)
>
> What do you think about this issue ? Any other proposed solutions ?

Script in cvs or on the machine which flags any file which does not start
with the Apache license or a 'THIS IS NOT LICENSED' License?

Hen

Re: What should we do about sandbox ? RE: License and copyright issues

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 10/22/02 12:01 AM, "Costin Manolache" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Martin Cooper wrote:
>
>> I found a few things not yet mentioned:
>>
>> 1) In codec\Metaphone.java, "Copyright 1997, William B. Brogden", which is
>> clearly a problem.
>>
>> 2) In scaffold, numerous instances of "Copyright (c) 2002 Synthis
>> Corporation.", also clearly a problem.
>
> Acording to jakarta-commons rules, the sandbox is just a CVS repository
> where experiments may happen.
>
> I see it similar with commiters using their homes or public_html
> pages on jakarta - or with the commiters cvs repository.
>
> The sandbox is open to any jakarta commiter.
>
> The question is: do we have to police it and monitor all forms
> of activities that happen on apache servers ? Because as far as
> I can see, there is no difference between a file placed by a
> jakarta commiters on his public_html or home and the files
> in commons-sandbox.
>
> We made it very clear that sandbox code can't be released,
> and the fact that it is accessible using public cvs and
> viewcvs is similar with the public_html files.
>

> I would propose to ask the sandbox to be removed from viewcvs
> and the eventually discuss what to do about the public cvs.
> As a way to protect ourself. I wouldn't mind if this is voted
> down :-)
>
> What do you think about this issue ? Any other proposed solutions ?

Kick out any committer that violates this?  How about that?

It doesn't matter if it can't be released, the fact is that we are offering
copyrighted code (not by us) on a public server.

There should be no reason to put in the sandbox any code that is copyright
someone else.  We shouldn't have to change how we use the sandbox - I am
sure we have attracted many people with it and helped build the commons
community - just because someone screwed up.  This is basic stuff.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
geirm@adeptra.com                                    +1-203-355-2219 (w)