Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2003/04/03 14:39:34 UTC

Maven war:init - throws exception

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out some of the mavel goals, one of which is the
building of a war file.

I tried out war:init, expecting to see some kind of output about
directories it needs, and where I should put things to create a war file.

Initially maven tried to download some dependancies. My link is
downright aweful, and some of the downloads timed out. I had to ^C the
process and try again. It seems though that maven has not handled the
download process properly - it did not try to resume downloads on the
partially downloaded files, or notice that some of the jar files were
not complete.

Eventually the dependancies were either down or broken, and maven bombed
out with an exception. I then tried to delete the contents of the
repository directory, thinking that things might return to a sane state.
Maven now bombs out with a different exception:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: xml
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:186)
	at org.apache.commons.jelly.parser.XMLParser.createTag(XMLParser.java:1039)
	at
org.apache.commons.jelly.parser.XMLParser.startElement(XMLParser.java:647)

So far maven does not look to be very stable at all. Is this the case?
Should I be considering the use of maven for my project, or is it too
early in development to be considered useful?

Anyone know how to get maven back to a sane state?

Regards,
Graham

Re: Maven war:init - throws exception

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Graham Leggett wrote:

> Eventually the dependancies were either down or broken, and maven bombed
> out with an exception. I then tried to delete the contents of the
> repository directory, thinking that things might return to a sane state.
> Maven now bombs out with a different exception:

Deleting maven and reinstalling it fixed the issues I was having -
however maven really should be more robust when downloading files. At
the moment it does not do anything special to a half downloaded file -
it assumes it's downloaded, and then bombs out when it tries to unpack
the jar.

Posted by Ben Walding <de...@walding.com>.
To make Maven sane, just install it again.  It's not worth trying to
debug what you've done to it.  Follow the install instructions you used
the first time. If that doesn't work, post to the list again.

As to the plugins, try the documentation first, then the mailing list
archives
http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/index.html

Cheers,

Ben