Posted to dev@metamodel.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2013/11/14 15:31:51 UTC

Re: How to vote on a patch in JIRA...

This is very irregular.

I just checked the bylaws, and we have the following verbiage:

"one +1 from a committer who has not authored the patch followed by a
Lazy approval (not counting the vote of the contributor), moving to
lazy majority if a -1 is received"

There are four red flags here:

 - A single +1 vote for a proposal to pass seems irregular. (Though I
note that Hadoop uses it. Though, remember that Hadoop is a very big
project and may have problems that we do not.)
 - Whereas every other type of decision uses a defined voting model,
code modification does not, and invents one for itself inside the
little "Approval" box
 - The ad-hoc voting model in the "Approval" box is actually two
voting models. If one fails, a new one is used.
 - The model you switch to if a -1 is received effectively does way
with the idea of code vetos. This seems unusual, and dangerous.

I think this needs to be fixed.

I do not like RTC, as I think it adds unnecessary friction to the
contribution process. I think a true lazy consensus approach is much
better. Lazy consensus says that if you think this commit is good for
the project, you may perform it. And we will review it and tell you if
we think it needs changing. (Remember: our VCS is a time-machine!)

This is a very good page on lazy consensus:

http://rave.apache.org/docs/governance/lazyConsensus.html

Note that the "lazy consensus" mentioned in the bylaws is not actually
lazy consensus. This is an error that was carried over from the Kafka
bylaws. (I have emailed them separately to correct it.)

However, if this community still prefers CTR (despite my
protestations) I suggest you define the voting model "Approvals"
section. And I would recommend that it be defined as:

"Consensus check requires 3 binding +1 votes and no binding vetoes."

(Yes, I just invented a term, consensus check, to be like a
lightweight version of a consensus approval vote.)

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: How to vote on a patch in JIRA...

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
I'd suggest you start a [DISCUSS] thread on dev with a clear subject
line and try to get consensus through discussion first. Once you think
you have consensus, tie it up with a vote. In general, voting should
be rare, and only used to "officiate" a consensus that was reached
through discussion.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater