Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@modpython.org> on 2002/09/26 03:28:06 UTC

UDP ?

Has there been any consideration given to supporting UDP, to allow things
like HTTP over UDP as described here:

http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/draft-goland-http-udp-01.txt

The idea of HTTP over UDP may seem irrational, but UPnP (which is the
protocol that is supposed to let your microwave oven discover and control
your dvd player) relies on exclusively on HTTPU, and I was curious whether
httpd could be rigged to be upnp capable.

I saw an earlier short thread about UDP, but could quite figure out where
it ended.

Grisha

Re: UDP ?

Posted by rb...@apache.org.
Serving content over UDP does work with 2.0.  It takes some work, but all
of the required features are there.  However, I modified Apache a couple
of years ago to serve HTTP over UDP, it doesn't work.  The only reason to
serve over UDP with Apache, is to serve a different protocol.

IF you would like a quick little module that creates UDP sockets, and gets
us serving over UDP, I could probably hack something together in a day or
two.  Of course, it will be a couple of months before I get to it.  I just
don't have the time for programming that I used to.  :-(

Ryan

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> Has there been any consideration given to supporting UDP, to allow things
> like HTTP over UDP as described here:
>
> http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/draft-goland-http-udp-01.txt
>
> The idea of HTTP over UDP may seem irrational, but UPnP (which is the
> protocol that is supposed to let your microwave oven discover and control
> your dvd player) relies on exclusively on HTTPU, and I was curious whether
> httpd could be rigged to be upnp capable.
>
> I saw an earlier short thread about UDP, but could quite figure out where
> it ended.
>
> Grisha

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610