Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "will@serensoft.com" <wi...@serensoft.com> on 2009/05/18 19:33:21 UTC

running tomcat5 -- as a service under 64-bit windows?

Hi folks --

Short version: how to get Tomcat5 to run as a service under 64-bit Windows 2003?

Long version:

Okay, we've got Tomcat5 running from the command-line within 64-bit
Windows 2003 Enterprise (and cannot use tomcat 6/java 6 for our
project) -- and now we're working to get it running as a service...

We've replaced the original tomcat5.exe and tomcat5w.exe with the ones at
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/connectors/trunk/procrun/bin/amd64/
as directed from
http://www.nabble.com/running-tomcat-5.5-as-a-service-on-64bit-windows-td6821449.html

And then command line 'service install' appears to work (it shows up
in admin tools > services) but the service won't start: it tries for a
while (netstat -nab shows it's running for a spell), but it quietly
gives up. tomcat/logs/stderr* does contain some text, but there's no
catalina.out, and start > admin tools > component services > events
doesn't give up any evidence either.

Plus, the mofidied/64-bit-savvy tomcat5w.exe which is supposed to set
parameters for the service, complains that 'tomcat5' doesn't exist.

Ideas?

--
will trillich
"Our only real economic security lies in our power to meet human

RE: running tomcat5 -- as a service under 64-bit windows?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: will trillich [mailto:trillich@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: running tomcat5 -- as a service under 64-bit windows?
>
> if you install the tomcat service as "service.bat install yadaboing"
> then you can configure it via "tomcat5w //ES//yadaboing"

Or you can rename the tomcat5.exe and tomcat5w.exe files to yadaboing.exe and yadaboingw.exe, respectively.

 - Chuck

Re: running tomcat5 -- as a service under 64-bit windows?

Posted by will trillich <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> When you install the service you have to name it tomcat5. It is a
> 'feature' of that service wrapper that for a service XXX the binarie
> smust be named XXX.exe and XXXw.exe

Just learned this today:

if you install the tomcat service as "service.bat install yadaboing"
then you can configure it via "tomcat5w //ES//yadaboing"

Easy!

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
will@serensoft.com wrote:
> Plus, the mofidied/64-bit-savvy tomcat5w.exe which is supposed to set
> parameters for the service, complains that 'tomcat5' doesn't exist.

When you install the service you have to name it tomcat5. It is a
'feature' of that service wrapper that for a service XXX the binarie
smust be named XXX.exe and XXXw.exe

Mark