Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@progress.com> on 2010/02/01 11:15:26 UTC

Re: SOAP Monitoring console for CXF

Hi

> Hi,
>
> I have submitted the interceptor part as a patch in jira : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-2641.

thanks. Personally, I'm not sure we can commit it just yet. The existing response time management feature is a light weight
component whose goal is to collect some operation statistics and eventually expose it over JMX. The idea of persisting exchanges and
ultimately showing them without JMX being involved seems to be generally useful, but there are quite a few depedencies/details in
the patch which would require users of the in/out persistence interceptors to stick to specific technologies like spring orm, etc,
but they may just want to save exchanges into a text file or push them over a socket/http.

IMHO it would be useful to have persistence interceptors added to the management feature but it would be better to abstract away the
details of how a current exchange can be persisted. Example, I'd only add say 2  interceptors (in/out) plus, say, some simple
interface which can be used to save an exchange.

Next, we can have a demo showing one way (as shown in the patch) how the exchanges can be persisted.

> I also have a question regarding the rt/management-web module : the packaging is "jar" in the pom.xml. Does it mean this is a
> library that should be included by users in their own webapp or should the packaging be "war" instead ?

It will be a jar, but ultimately it will become a 'bundle' which is a jar with its manifest updated with few extra OSGI
instructions.

> If this module is intended to be the management webapp, is it OK to add spring-webmvc dependency in it ?

The idea behind introducing this module is to let users do a number of useful management-related tasks over HTTP, by relying on the
existing CXF modules and technologies already available in JDK. Ex, CXF JAXRS module can be used to create various endpoints (one
will be used to let users subscribe to atom logging events, the other one will actually let users view the statisics amd possibly do
spme management operations, etc). I'd prefer to have a JAXRS endpoint which could be used to show the statistics and possibly the
exchanges persisted by various CXF 'working' endpoints.

Thoughts ?

thanks, Sergey