Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Malcolm Walker <ma...@mewalker.co.uk> on 2007/09/01 00:45:17 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.4 [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Vincent,

 >so presumably you're using a URL like http://localhost/mcjdreamweaver/
to access your site
Yes you are correct and I am very grateful for your reply but I find I
am out of my depth.  I had read (several times both before my post and
after your reply) the article on configuring Virtual Hosts and I remain
unaware of how to amend the file at conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf to suit
local access only.  As to the <Directory blocks I take your point but I
cannot determine which of the directives to use.

My sole aim was in using Apache for testing to add the display of
includes.  As I have been struggling with a problem that I never
expected for over a week it's time I gave it a rest.

My general comment on all the Apache help articles both on-line and in
the manual is that they clearly state what to do but not how to do it.
There is a presumption of knowledge that I do not have.  I bought my
first computer at the age of 62 on the basis I would catch up -
eventually.  Thirteen years later it seems I am even further behind than
I was then!

Many thanks for your effort to assist me.  I do appreciate it very much
indeed.

Malcolm

Posted by Norman Peelman <np...@cfl.rr.com>.
Malcolm Walker wrote:
> Vincent,
>
> >so presumably you're using a URL like
> http://localhost/mcjdreamweaver/ to access your site
> Yes you are correct and I am very grateful for your reply but I find I
> am out of my depth.  I had read (several times both before my post and
> after your reply) the article on configuring Virtual Hosts and I
> remain unaware of how to amend the file at
> conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf to suit local access only.  As to the
> <Directory blocks I take your point but I cannot determine which of
> the directives to use.
>
> My sole aim was in using Apache for testing to add the display of
> includes.  As I have been struggling with a problem that I never
> expected for over a week it's time I gave it a rest.
>
> My general comment on all the Apache help articles both on-line and in
> the manual is that they clearly state what to do but not how to do
> it.  There is a presumption of knowledge that I do not have.  I bought
> my first computer at the age of 62 on the basis I would catch up -
> eventually.  Thirteen years later it seems I am even further behind
> than I was then!
>
> Many thanks for your effort to assist me.  I do appreciate it very
> much indeed.
>
> Malcolm
>
> Vincent Bray wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You seem to have two problems in your config. First, You're not using
>> any virtual hosts, and your DocumentRoot is F:/webs, so presumably
>> you're using a URL like http://localhost/mcjdreamweaver/ to access
>> your site. In this case, using an include with a local uri ref like
>> /includes/something won't work because the mcjdreamweaver part is
>> ignored. To fix this, either change your DocumentRoot to include the
>> site directory, or use vhosts if you want to host multiple sites.
>>
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/
>>
>> Secondly, you have two <DIrectory blocks that each refer to
>> essentially the same directory (except one of them has a wildcard).
>> This will lead to pain and suffering in the long term, so instead
>> merge the two together, in particular your Options directive, which is
>> different in both cases. You should also avoid using Options Foo +Bar
>> notation, as the docs explain, this isn't supported syntax, so instead
>> make up your mind and use Options Foo Bar Whatever.

  Sorry to come in at the end of a thread but here's what I do for vhosts:

<VirtualHost *>
   ServerAdmin <your email address here>
   ServerName localhost
   DocumentRoot "/var/www/"
   DirectoryIndex index.php index.htm

# you'll need to play with this - I struggle too...
    <Directory /var/www>
        AllowOverride None
        Options -Indexes
        Order Allow,Deny
        Allow from All
    </Directory>

# error logging goes here...

# some PHP variables below - can be set on a vhost basis

   php_value session.name "lh"
   php_value session.cookie_domain "localhost"
   php_value upload_max_filesize "1M"
   php_value register_globals off
</VirtualHost>

Basically, you get to type 'localhost/your dir here' in the browser to
access your content. As long as you use relative URLs everything should
work.

Norm

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.4 [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Malcolm Walker <ma...@mewalker.co.uk>.
Vincent Bray wrote:
> On 01/09/07, Malcolm Walker <ma...@mewalker.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Yes you are correct and I am very grateful for your reply but I find I
>> am out of my depth.  I had read (several times both before my post and
>> after your reply) the article on configuring Virtual Hosts and I remain
>> unaware of how to amend the file at conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf to suit
>> local access only.  As to the <Directory blocks I take your point but I
>> cannot determine which of the directives to use.
>>
>> My sole aim was in using Apache for testing to add the display of
>> includes.  As I have been struggling with a problem that I never
>> expected for over a week it's time I gave it a rest.
>>
>> My general comment on all the Apache help articles both on-line and in
>> the manual is that they clearly state what to do but not how to do it.
>> There is a presumption of knowledge that I do not have.  I bought my
>> first computer at the age of 62 on the basis I would catch up -
>> eventually.  Thirteen years later it seems I am even further behind than
>> I was then!
>>
> Please forgive the jibe, but it's perhaps suitable that you're trying
> to configure server side includes.. A technology nearly as old as
> yourself :-)

Your jibe is forgiven. {8;-))  But just because the technology is old
doesn't mean it isn't any use.  I assume there are `better' and newer
ways of achieving the same object.  Perhaps PHP is more appropriate?
> Explaining how vhosts work is a time consuming process, and I think
> the docs would do a better job, so instead, let's try a direct answer.
> Stick this at the bottom of your httpd.conf and see what happens.
>
> NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>  ServerName localhost
>  DocumentRoot F:/webs/mcjdreamweaver
>  <DIrectory F:/webs/mcjdreamweaver>
>   Options Includes Indexes
>   Order allow,deny
>   Allow from all
>   AddOutputFilter INCLUDES;DEFLATE shtml
>  </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>

I did `stick' the lines you kindly provided into the httpd.conf file and
the mcjdreamweaver site is displayed in my browsers with the URL:
http://localhost.  So thank you for that step forward.
> For bonus points, you could edit your hosts file (windows hides it
> somewhere like c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) so you've got a
> proper name to use rather than localhost, then repeat that name in
> ServerName.
By edit do you mean delete 127.0.0.1 localhost and add (say) 127.0.0.1
mcjlocalhost?

> Good luck!

I need more than good luck - nourishment not punishment!  And thank you
for your assistance.

Malcolm

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.4 [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Malcolm Walker <ma...@mewalker.co.uk>.

Posted by Malcolm Walker <ma...@mewalker.co.uk>.
Vincent Bray wrote:
> On 04/09/07, Malcolm Walker <ma...@mewalker.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> PS I'm still quite good at playing FreeCell {8;-))
>>

> Ah ha! I discovered that recently (along with hearts), and am 98%
> games won. Time for an online Freecell deathmatch? :-)

Naagh -Spider for Solitaire for highest points.  Toss for the difficulty level!

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.4 [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.

--
noodl

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.4 [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Posted by Malcolm Walker <ma...@mewalker.co.uk>.
Vincent Bray wrote:
>> I did `stick' the lines you kindly provided into the httpd.conf file and
>> the mcjdreamweaver site is displayed in my browsers with the URL:
>> http://localhost.  So thank you for that step forward.
>>
> But.. Your includes are still not working?

Sorry that I didn't make that clear to you.  Yes the includes are displayed.

> No, don't delete the localhost entry as lots of software assumes it's
> there. Instead, just add to the line so you've got:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost mcjlocalhost whatever-else

Noted

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 04/09/07, Malcolm Walker <ma...@mewalker.co.uk> wrote:
> Your jibe is forgiven. {8;-))  But just because the technology is old
> doesn't mean it isn't any use.  I assume there are `better' and newer
> ways of achieving the same object.  Perhaps PHP is more appropriate?

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. mod_includes can be fine for
(very) simple needs, but quickly becomes limitting.

Posted by Malcolm Walker <ma...@mewalker.co.uk>.

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.