Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Frank Lyaruu <fl...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/16 11:16:30 UTC

Kafka Connect gets into a rebalance loop

Hi people,

I've just deployed my Kafka Streams / Connect (I only use a connect sink to
mongodb) application on a cluster of four instances (4 containers on 2
machines) and now it seems to get into a sort of rebalancing loop, and I
don't get much in mongodb, I've got a little bit of data at the beginning,
but no new data appears.

The rest of the streams application seems to behave.

This is what I get in my log, but at a pretty high speed (about 100 per
second):

Current config state offset 3 is behind group assignment 5, reading to end
of config log
Joined group and got assignment: Assignment{error=0,
leader='connect-2-8fb3bfc4-93f2-4d08-82df-8e7c4b99ec13', leaderUrl='',
offset=5, connectorIds=[KNVB-production-generation-99-person-mongosink],
taskIds=[]}
Successfully joined group NHV-production-generation-99-person-mongosink
with generation 6
Successfully joined group KNVB-production-generation-99-person-mongosink
with generation 6
Wasn't unable to resume work after last rebalance, can skip stopping
connectors and tasks
Rebalance started
Wasn't unable to resume work after last rebalance, can skip stopping
connectors and tasks
(Re-)joining group KNVB-production-generation-99-person-mongosink
Current config state offset 3 does not match group assignment 5. Forcing
rebalance.
Finished reading to end of log and updated config snapshot, new config log
offset: 3
Finished reading to end of log and updated config snapshot, new config log
offset: 3
Current config state offset 3 does not match group assignment 5. Forcing
rebalance.
Joined group and got assignment: Assignment{error=0,
leader='connect-1-1893fd59-3ce8-4061-8131-ae36e58f5524', leaderUrl='',
offset=5, connectorIds=[], taskIds=[]}
Current config state offset 3 is behind group assignment 5, reading to end
of config log
Successfully joined group KNVB-production-generation-99-person-mongosink
with generation 6
(Re-)joining group KNVB-production-generation-99-person-mongosink
Current config state offset 3 does not match group assignment 5. Forcing
rebalance.Rebalance started
Current config state offset 3 is behind group assignment 5, reading to end
of config log
Catching up to assignment's config offset.
Successfully joined group NHV-production-generation-99-person-mongosink
with generation 6
Joined group and got assignment: Assignment{error=0,
leader='connect-2-8fb3bfc4-93f2-4d08-82df-8e7c4b99ec13', leaderUrl='',
offset=5, connectorIds=[], taskIds=[]}
Catching up to assignment's config offset.
Joined group and got assignment: Assignment{error=0,
leader='connect-2-8fb3bfc4-93f2-4d08-82df-8e7c4b99ec13', leaderUrl='',
offset=5, connectorIds=[], taskIds=[]}
(Re-)joining group NHV-production-generation-99-person-mongosink
Wasn't unable to resume work after last rebalance, can skip stopping
connectors and tasks
Successfully joined group NHV-production-generation-99-person-mongosink
with generation 6
Current config state offset 3 does not match group assignment 5. Forcing
rebalance.
Finished reading to end of log and updated config snapshot, new config log
offset: 3
Current config state offset 3 does not match group assignment 5. Forcing
rebalance.
Rebalance started

... and so on..

Any ideas?

regards, Frank

Re: Kafka Connect gets into a rebalance loop

Posted by Willy Hoang <wi...@blueapron.com.INVALID>.
In case anyone else runs into this issue:

Turning on TRACE level logs revealed that the config topic we were using
was auto-created to have 12 partitions. As stated in the Kafka Connect User
Guide (http://docs.confluent.io/3.1.2/connect/userguide.html), the internal
topic used to store configs (config.storage.topic) must only be a single
partition. This explains why the consumers could never catch up / reach the
end of the config topic. Simply switching config.storage.topic to point to
a new topic with a single partition resolved this issue.

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Willy Hoang <wi...@blueapron.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
The message