Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jan Dirksen <ja...@yahoo.de> on 2003/12/18 07:50:39 UTC

Tiles in Struts 1.1 - TilesRequestProcessor

Hi
i am using Tiles with the Plugin.tag in
the struts-config.xml
now i saw in the source, that TilesPlugin
<<uses>> the TilesRequestProcessor.

okay, however - but i saw in one config-file, that
i could add the TilesRequestProcessor in the config of
struts.

since now i only "used" the plugin in the config.

is it better to use the TilesRequestProcessor instead?

-in sources i didn´t found anything like deprecated in
the TilesPlugin.

Thanks Jan

Re: Tiles in Struts 1.1 - TilesRequestProcessor

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
The PlugIn takes the liberty of setting your
RequestProcessor to the TilesRequestProcessor for
you.

You only really need to worry about it if you
choose to use a custom RequestProcessor of your
own; in that case, you'd need to extend the
TilesRequestProcessor if you want to use Tiles
functionality -- the PlugIn class is not
"self-contained".

Since the TilesRequestProcessor is totally
compatible with non-tiles use, I wonder if we
ought not just merge it in with the base
RequestProcessor and eliminate the confusion?

There is an ongoing effort to break up the
request processing cycle to make it more
flexible, but until then, I wonder if this would
be worth pursuing...?

joe

At 7:50 AM +0100 12/18/03, Jan Dirksen wrote:
>Hi
>i am using Tiles with the Plugin.tag in
>the struts-config.xml
>now i saw in the source, that TilesPlugin
><<uses>> the TilesRequestProcessor.
>
>okay, however - but i saw in one config-file, that
>i could add the TilesRequestProcessor in the config of
>struts.
>
>since now i only "used" the plugin in the config.
>
>is it better to use the TilesRequestProcessor instead?
>
>-in sources i didn´t found anything like deprecated in
>the TilesPlugin.
>
>Thanks Jan

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com
  "We want beef in dessert if we can get it there."
   -- Betty Hogan, Director of New Product
Development, National Cattlemen's Beef Association