Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by pires7 <fo...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/09 13:33:54 UTC

What kind of image is a SVG file rendered as in memory?

Hi all,

I would like to find out what kind of image is a SVG file rendered as, when
it is in memory? Is it a JPEG image?

In particular, when i opened an SVG file using the Squiggle SVG Browser, an
SVG image is displayed, but when i select fucntions such as zooming in or
zooming out,  is the zooming of the map done by successively updating the
'JPEG' image from SVG, or an i right to say that once the 'JPEG' is created
from SVG, the function just scroll the 'JPEG' image in the memory?

thanks,
pires7

Re: What kind of image is a SVG file rendered as in memory?

Posted by snapper <jc...@snapdragonmedical.com>.
SVG "images" are vector graphics, much the same as PostScript is a vector
based system. This means that all parts of the visible stuff are described
as path. You can imagine this as a "connect the dots" puzzle. Each dot has
an xy coordinate. The advantage of vector based graphics is that they can be
scaled or resized to any size without affecting the image quality.

The opposite of this is raster graphics, also know as bitmap graphics. This
type is composed of many little dots or pixels (like a newspaper photo). A
bitmap graphic must be generated to fit a given display size, such as
640x480. And as we all know, when you try to enlarge or scale up a bitmap,
the image quality gets worse and worse.

Technically, an SVG image is not really an image at all, but it is, in fact,
an XML document, which must have an SVG viewer to be able to view it.

I hope that helps.