Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Amish Patel <se...@hotmail.com> on 2004/03/14 17:59:27 UTC

Multibox and selected values

Hello All,

I am running into this problem, that I am not able figure out how to do it
properly.  I have searched the web and have not found a decent example.
What I am trying to do is use html:multibox taglib to display a set of
checkboxes.  These check boxes represent the user's security preferences.
So if the user has a particular security token, then the respective check
box should be checked.

In order for this to work properly, I have to get two things, all the
security tokens that exits in the system.  And I  have to get the security
tokens that the user already has.  In my ActionForm, I have two methods:
one that gets all the security tokens in the system and second that gets
only the tokens that the user has.   The following is what I am using in my
jsp to display checkboxes.

<logic:iterate name="associateUserRoleForm" property="allRoles"
id="element">
   <bean:write name="element" />
  <bean:write name="element" />
</logic:iterate>

Right now I am able to get allRoles successfully, but in order to retrieve
the selectedRoles, I need a way such that my ActionForm
(associateUserRoleForm) can get hold of this user or this user's id, which
is already in the session.  Once I get this I can then display all the
security tokens and check those tokens that the user already has.

How can I do this?  Am I on the right track or is there a better way to do
this?

Thank You very much for your help!
-Semplice

Re: Multibox and selected values

Posted by Saul Q Yuan <yu...@dataanvil.com>.
If I understand your questions correctly, you can define two String arrays in your form bean, one for allRoles, and the other for selectedRoles, which is the array of roles of the current user. Before forwarding to your jsp, in your action class, you can retrive all the roles of the currently user, and set the roles to the selectedRoles in the form bean.

HTH,
Saul