Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by venu thangalapally <wh...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/25 22:40:19 UTC

[users@httpd] apache 2.2.7 bit level info

Guys.. do we have a 32-bit and 64-bit apache 2.2.27 http server ? for
soalris ?

Regards
Venu

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.2.7 bit level info

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 4:43 PM, venu thangalapally <wh...@gmail.com>wrote:

> can you please provide more info how can i build it to 64-bit... apache
> 2.2 tar file from apache link does not say the bit level information

Build apr, apr-util, and httpd with

CC="cc -m64" ./configure ...

Replace cc with gcc if necessary, or 64 with 32 if necessary.
Replace cc with full path to Sun Studio compiler if it isn't found in path.
You need matching versions of support libraries too.

If you've never built on Solaris before, maybe you are missing different
tools or libraries and maybe have a few uncomfortable tricks to learn about
setting PATH to avoid bogus cc.  Maybe http://sunfreeware.com/ is a good
place to look for binaries.

> Regards
> Venu
>

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 4:40 PM, venu thangalapally <wh...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Guys.. do we have a 32-bit and 64-bit apache 2.2.27 http server ? for
>> > soalris ?
>> >

>> You can build it either way.

Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/
http://edjective.org/

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.2.7 bit level info

Posted by "Brett @Google" <br...@gmail.com>.
In addition, it is also useful to add "-xarch=native and -xcode=pic32" to
CFLAGS

-xcode=pic32 helps linking with .so libraries which are not solaris-savvy
(the equivalent of linux's -G / -fPIC)
-xarch=native will optimise the code for the same machine it is compiling
on (good if all your machines are all the same hardware / cpu type..
otherwise don't use it)

It is also useful to add :

"-L<prefix where my libs are>/lib and -R<prefix where my libs are>/lib" to
LDFLAGS

And keep in mind you cannot link 32 bit libraries and 64 bit libraries, so
-f you use -m64 then you need all 64 bit compiled third party libraries, it
will ignore 32 bit libraries, exactly like they don't exist.

The Solaris linker has no particular defaults (it ignores /usr/local/lib in
particular), so unless you can change the library search path for the whole
machine, the -R is pretty much required to find your libs.

The Solaris versions of libraries which apache depends on, are very old and
will conflict with building newer software, so best to roll your own libs,
or stick with more modern versions from sunfreeware

Cheers
Brett

--
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause
and reflect.

- Mark Twain

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.2.7 bit level info

Posted by Jesus Cea <jc...@jcea.es>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 4:43 PM, venu thangalapally <wh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> can you please provide more info how can i build it to 64-bit... apache 2.2
> tar file from apache link does not say the bit level information

The bit level is not really a property of source code.

You'll have to consult the manual for your compiler (sun studio, gcc,
???) for what flags to add for 64-bit code. Maybe it's even the
default.  for httpd, it's best to bake the flag into CC="" environment
variable, rather than CFLAGS.

I wouldn't take the responsibility of compiling yourself too casually.

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.2.7 bit level info

Posted by venu thangalapally <wh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 4:40 PM, venu thangalapally <wh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys.. do we have a 32-bit and 64-bit apache 2.2.27 http server ? for
> soalris ?

You can build it either way.