Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/08/09 21:23:26 UTC

Caching LogicSheets

Fellow Cocooners,

how do you feel about caching the LogicSheets that are installed in the jar files.
That would mean that they are read once (per Cocoon instance) and cached in the
MRUMemmoryStore.  They will never change--but they are sure needed for logicsheet
generation, and I have a feeling that this is causing undue stress on the URLClassLoader.

AW: Caching LogicSheets

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
> Donald Ball wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> > > how do you feel about caching the LogicSheets that are installed in
> > > the jar files. That would mean that they are read once (per Cocoon
> > > instance) and cached in the MRUMemmoryStore.  They will never
> > > change--but they are sure needed for logicsheet generation, and I have
> > > a feeling that this is causing undue stress on the URLClassLoader.
> >
> > could this be optional? some servlet engines do reload classes in jar
> > files when the jar files change.
>
> If you had updated the jars in such a system, wouldn't you have restarted
> the engine to take advantage of the new jars if they change?
>
> If we can do the servlet/cli/etc. separation for Cocoon 2.1, we
> can implement
> our own jar reloading arrangement.

If you specify the cocoon-reload parameter, the jar files are actually
reloaded, which avoids the overhead of restarting your system. (At least
this works with Tomcat 3.2).

Carsten

Re: Caching LogicSheets

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> If you had updated the jars in such a system, wouldn't you have restarted
> the engine to take advantage of the new jars if they change?

no, resin notices the changes and reloads the classes, apparantly without
restarting the engine or the webapp.

- donald

Re: Caching LogicSheets

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.