Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by CFAS Webmaster <we...@cfas.org> on 2006/03/31 07:51:22 UTC

Dispatcher .fv file template...

Devs,

  I've been waiting for things to calm down before asking this
question.  I believe now is as good a time as any...

  Back in the olden days of v0.7 I had created a .fv file that allowed
me to format the main page of http://www.cfas.org/ without using
tables.  I was rather happy to have been able to figure that one out.

  Now I'm working with v0.8 at SVN head with the patch from FOR-796.  My
forrest.properties file has these entries:
project.theme=pelt
project.required.plugins=org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf,org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher,org.apache.forrest.themes.core,org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Text,org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.OpenOffice.org,org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.PhotoGallery

  I've looked at my old index.fv and a few of the other .fv's in the
forrest tree but I can't figure out how to update it so that I get
something other than a blank page.

  I'm looking for a template for each page that I can modify, more like
tweak slightly, for the index page.  I essentially need to add one hook
after the content-title section:
                <forrest:hook name="rightbar">
                    <forrest:contract name="extra-info"/>
                </forrest:hook>
(from the 0.7 version .fv file).

Any suggestions?
-Paul

Re: Dispatcher .fv file template...

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
CFAS Webmaster wrote:
> Devs,
>
>  I've been waiting for things to calm down before asking this question.
> I believe now is as good a time as any...
>
>  Back in the olden days of v0.7 I had created a .fv file that allowed me
> to format the main page of http://www.cfas.org/ without using tables.  I
> was rather happy to have been able to figure that one out.
>
>  Now I'm working with v0.8 at SVN head with the patch from FOR-796.  My
> forrest.properties file has these entries:
> project.theme=pelt
> project.required.plugins=org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf,org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher,org.apache.forrest.themes.core,org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Text,org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.OpenOffice.org,org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.PhotoGallery
>

>  I've looked at my old index.fv and a few of the other .fv's in the
> forrest tree but I can't figure out how to update it so that I get
> something other than a blank page.
>
>  I'm looking for a template for each page that I can modify, more like
> tweak slightly, for the index page.  I essentially need to add one hook
> after the content-title section:
>                <forrest:hook name="rightbar">
>                    <forrest:contract name="extra-info"/>
>                </forrest:hook>
> (from the 0.7 version .fv file).
>
> Any suggestions?

The default .fv for pelt is:

whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.themes.core/themes/pelt.fv

Ross

Re: Dispatcher .fv file template...

Posted by CFAS Webmaster <we...@cfas.org>.
Thorsten - I can send the structurer but I don't know if I have a copy
that actually works in v0.7 anymore...  I never used it for the actual
site and I've been trying to follow the development as it's been going
along but I haven't had the time to be successful with it.  I didn't
have any custom contracts as I never fully understood what a contract
with forrest meant.  I look forward to the resolution of FOR-639 in that
regard.

I did notice that the format and other things had changed.  I didn't
(don't) understand how to translate between what worked in v0.7 and what
works today with v2 dispatcher/v3 structurer understanding that those
two are as different from each other as they are from v0.7.

Ross - I was aware that the pelt .fv file was there.  I guess I didn't
realize that it would make an appropriate template for changing the
layout of a page in the form of an index.fv.  I'll start working on it
and, if I may, keep asking questions here.

Thanks for the tips guys!
-Paul

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.

--