Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Tom van den Berge <to...@drillster.com> on 2013/12/03 10:06:57 UTC

How to monitor the progress of a HintedHandoff task?

Hi,

Is there a way to monitor the progress of a hinted handoff task?

I found the following two mbeans providing some info:

org.apache.cassandra.internal:type=HintedHandoff, which tells me that there
is 1 active task, and
org.apache.cassandra.db:type=HintedHandoffManager#countPendingHints(),
which quite often gives a timeout when executed.

Ideally, I would like to see how many hints have been sent (e.g. over the
last minute or so), and how many hints are still to be sent (although I
assume that's what countPendingHints normally does?)

I'm experiencing hinted handoff tasks that are started, but never finish,
so I would like to know what the task is doing.

My log shows this:

INFO [HintedHandoff:1] 2013-12-02 13:49:05,325 HintedHandOffManager.java
(line 297) Started hinted handoff for host:
6f80b942-5b6d-4233-9827-3727591abf55 with IP: /10.55.156.66
(nothing more for [HintedHandoff:1])

The node is up and running, the network connection is ok, no gossip
messages appear in the logs.

Any idea is welcome.
(Casandra 1.2.3)

--

Drillster BV
Middenburcht 136

+31 30 755 5330

Open your free account at www.drillster.com

Re: How to monitor the progress of a HintedHandoff task?

Posted by Tom van den Berge <to...@drillster.com>.
Rahul,

I've made some progress in my investigations in the mean time. It seems
that the network bandwidth to my remote data center is relatively small,
and at the same time my application generates far more write operations
that I was expecting, resulting in more replication data to the remote DC.

In the case of a network hickup, or a  sudden peek in data generated by my
application (or both), it seems that the network capacity to the remote DC
is simply not sufficient to keep up with the data. This results in the
hints piling up.

On top of that, my cassandra nodes are equipped with a moderate amount of
memory (4G). This might simply be not enough to keep maintain the hints and
other column families in memtables. When the problem occurs, I can see that
the node is very busy flushing the hint memtable to disk, which obviously
results in high CPU/IO load.

I've managed to significantly reduce the number of write/delete operations
from my application, which should greatly decrease the rate at which the
hints CF is growing in case of time outs to the remote DC. I'm also
planning to stick some more memory in the servers. Can you think of other
wise things I might have missed?

Thanks for your feedback -- it's highly appreciated!

Tom

Open your free account at www.drillster.com

Re: How to monitor the progress of a HintedHandoff task?

Posted by Rahul Menon <ra...@apigee.com>.
Tom,

Posted by Tom van den Berge <to...@drillster.com>.
Rahul,

Open your free account at www.drillster.com

Re: How to monitor the progress of a HintedHandoff task?

Posted by Rahul Menon <ra...@apigee.com>.
Tom,

Posted by Tom van den Berge <to...@drillster.com>.
Hi Rahul,

Open your free account at www.drillster.com

Re: How to monitor the progress of a HintedHandoff task?

Posted by Rahul Menon <ra...@apigee.com>.
Tom,