Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Alfred Vahau <al...@upng.ac.pg> on 2004/08/13 01:46:27 UTC

Modperl and Distance Education

Hi,
Are there any major distance education sites powered by modperl technology?
I work for a University with 7 campuses scattered around the country.
Provision of distance
education through online access to teaching material and academic
transcripts are among the long
term goals of the university.

I find it challenging to develop a site to meet the university's
requirements. It has been proposed
that I consider Java or PHP applications to develop the site to include
online directory for all
staff and students connected to the university. However, I am confident
that I can meet the same
objectives using modperl technology. Somewhere I think I can use
Bricolage or Mason and I am
wondering whether these are appropriate technologies to consider. Or are
there other applications of
modperl relating to delivery of distance education that I am not aware of.

Coming from a traditional Unix background in connection with academic
research, I turned to Perl in
2000 to survive in an environment dominated by Windows operating system.
I continue to work on my
own Breeze Project <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2075> for which an
early account was posted on the Oreilly site in 2002. Since then I have
been following developments and have tested modperl and apache on trial
basis.

Any pointers to help in broadening my options would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Alfred Vahau
Director
Information Technology Services
University of Papua New Guinea
Information Resources Centre

Re: Modperl and Distance Education

Posted by Chris Winters <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:46:27 +1000, Alfred Vahau <al...@upng.ac.pg> wrote:
>  Hi,
>  Are there any major distance education sites powered by modperl technology?
>  I work for a University with 7 campuses scattered around the country. Provision of distance
>  education through online access to teaching material and academic transcripts are among the long
>  term goals of the university.

Dicole MimerDesk is built on top of OpenInteract (pure-Perl
application serveR) and seems to serve this purpose:

http://www.dicole.fi/en/community/about/overview

Chris

--
Chris Winters (chris.winters@gmail.com)
Building enterprise-capable snack solutions since 1988.