Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Philipp Bunge <bu...@crimson.ch> on 2009/12/02 13:53:00 UTC

State of JCR-SQL2

Hi all

I'm curious on the state of the JCR-SQL2 implementation in Jackrabbit,
if it is complete and whether it will undergo further testing until a
Jackrabbit 2.0 final is released (and a CRX 2.0 for that matter).
It seems to me, that not many people are currently using the new
syntax as I find a new bug every other time that I write a query:

I'm not complaining, just curious if it might be more sensible to use
a better tested (albeit soon deprecated) query language such as xpath.

Thanks and kind regards,
Philipp

Re: State of JCR-SQL2

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

2009/12/2 Philipp Bunge <bu...@crimson.ch>:
> And testing of QOM/SQL2 before a Jackrabbit 2.0 final release? It
> appeared to me that the only JCR-SQL2 tests are currently parsing
> tests but they only test if the queries are parsed without an
> exception (the QOM tree they produce is not verified for example).
> Also, are there any tests that execute QOM or SQL2 queries?

yes, there are. they are part of the jackrabbit-jcr-tests module and
run as integration tests. see:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/jackrabbit-jcr-tests/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/test/api/query/qom

most tests execute the query twice, once as JQOM and a second one as
SQL2 (-> AbstractQOMTest.checkQOM(...))

but I agree with you that testing QOM is currently quite basic. please
also be aware that performance has not been a focus of development so
far. so you might be better off using XPath for now if you can express
a certain query in XPath.

regards
 marcel

Re: State of JCR-SQL2

Posted by Philipp Bunge <bu...@crimson.ch>.
Hi Thomas!

Thanks for the quick reply!

>> state of the JCR-SQL2 implementation in Jackrabbit
>
> Some features that are available in XPath are not yet available when
> using SQL-2. I don't know exactly what those feature are however.

And testing of QOM/SQL2 before a Jackrabbit 2.0 final release? It
appeared to me that the only JCR-SQL2 tests are currently parsing
tests but they only test if the queries are parsed without an
exception (the QOM tree they produce is not verified for example).
Also, are there any tests that execute QOM or SQL2 queries? I couldn't
find any, that's why I created a new test case in the last bug I
reported (JCR-2417).

Thanks again for all your work! I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Philipp

Re: State of JCR-SQL2

Posted by Thomas Müller <th...@day.com>.
Hi,

> state of the JCR-SQL2 implementation in Jackrabbit

Some features that are available in XPath are not yet available when
using SQL-2. I don't know exactly what those feature are however.

> better tested (albeit soon deprecated) query language such as xpath.

XPath is deprecated in the JCR-2 standard. If you want to switch to
other JCR repositories then you may have to change the queries to use
SQL-2. However Jackrabbit will support XPath for a long time - there
are absolutely no plans to deprecate XPath within Jackrabbit.

Regards,
Thomas